Help. spillage, cleaning

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gigja, Jan 19, 2007.

1. gigja macrumors newbie

Hello to all
    I am sorry to sound like the worst mac owner but I seem to be very unlucky.
    if you could please help it would be appreciated.
    I had some friends over one day, when one of them swung around and spilled coke all over my keyboard. My MacBook wouldn't work for days. Now it works perfectly fine, but (this sounds strange) when it is cold inside, the keys have a harder time pressing down. when it's warm, it's perfectly fine.
    I was thinking of bringing it in with the warranty, is this a bad idea? will they record me as being a "spiller" and not agree to repair anymore?
    ANTHER THING
    (I look terrible)
    I had marker on my hand one day, and whilst typing, some of it must have rubbed off onto my beautiful macbook's sleek white mouse, and the edges.
    What now?
    How can I clean it?
    Please help me fellow mac owners...I am so clueless and sad....:(
    thank you!

2. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Apple will definitely know you spilled something because coke leaves a sticky residue.

What do you mean by mouse? Trackpad, or you have a mighty mouse? I would try some acetone-free (that's important!) nailpolish remover on a cotton ball and see if that works.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Actually, that's not strange at all. When the coke is cold, it becomes sticky and more viscous, making the keys harder to press; when the coke warms up, it's less sticky, and the keys are easier to press.

Like extraextra said, Apple will definitely know you spilt something, so don't bother taking it in (unless your willing to pay for repairs). ...Although it seems like you may have gotten lucky and won't need any.

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

You one option if you don't want to take it in, is to pop the keys off or take the keyboard out and clean them all out with some water or something? :eek:

5. gigja thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! I think I'll pop out the keys abd clean them :)
    but if I DO decide to go to Mac, can they kep track of this and use it to dismiss any other sort of technical difficulty??
    Thanks!!!
    :D

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

yep