Help! Spinning wheel on Mac applications and utilities

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jenny05, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Jenny05 macrumors newbie

Nov 7, 2005
    Help! I've been having major problems with Panther. A couple weeks ago I tried to download OS updates and I also made changes to System Prefs. I think it's since then that all the trouble started. Now I get the spinning ball when I try to access System Prefs, Help Viewer, options in Disk Utility, Installer, etc. Also Safari does nothing. Also, one of my software apps. gives me an error message when I try opening any new files I created since these problems began. I've tried trashing preferences, running repairs with Disk utility, and a bunch of other stuff... nothing seems to work. Anyone out there have any advice??
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    A few questions if you don't mind. What changes did you make to the System Preferences? How much RAM do you have? Which preferences did you delete? What's this error message you're talking about?

Now, have a look at Activity Monitor and tell us if there's a process that's using up an abnormal amount of CPU or RAM.

Sorry about all the questions but it might help us better understand your problem. :)