"Help" stopped working....

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Yaja123, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Yaja123 macrumors regular

anyone know why my help would stop working? i get the help viewer screen up but when i type anything in it the little progress circle spins but nothing happens... bizarre?

anyone know how to fix this?

im using tiger and its been faultless since i installed it the day it came out.

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Have you tried repairing permissions? Sorry that's all I know. hee :eek:

3. Yaja123 thread starter macrumors regular

GREAT IDEA, havent done that in awhile! :)

Sadly, it didnt work :confused:

anyone else?

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Okay, you might want to see if somebody else says this idea is a good idea....

Go into your home>Library>Preferences>com.apple.help.plist and try trashing that file.

But I'm not 100% sure, so I wouldn't try it until somebody else w/ more knowledge okays this. :eek:

5. Lau Guest

You could try dragging the com.apple.help.plist file (in Library>Preferences>com.apple.help.plist) onto the desktop, log in and out again (or restart, whichever you'd rather) and try help again. if that worked, you can chuck the plist file on your desktop into the trash because help will have created another one.

The only reason you don't trash it straight away is in case you need to put it back.

6. Lau Guest

Hee hee! Great minds, n all that. I doubt I have more knowledge than Devilot76, but this procedure's safe. Especially if you keep the file, cause you can drop it back in the folder and say "Yes, replace".

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Yes your method is quite genius. heh, I never was one for critical thinking and problem solving...Good thing you posted when you did. :D

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

9. Lau Guest

To be honest, I usually trash it myself, but don't empty the the trash, thinking, right,the desktop's tidy, I can always get it out again.

Then I log out, log in again.

Ooh, the trash is full, empty trash. Oooooops.

Mind like a sieve, me :D

10. Yaja123 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks guys/girls

i havent done it yet but will later. im confident the solution is here. ;)