HELP: strange error

Discussion in 'macOS' started by vitus, Mar 15, 2006.

1. vitus macrumors newbie

Oct 29, 2005
    from time to time i get this strange error screens - my powerbook just completely freezes up and i have to restart it.

has anybody got a clue where this comes from... i have the impression that it doesnt seem to be a osX error screen (look at the attachment) .. i dont know..

Attached Files:

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    It's a kernel panic. The kernel is the heart of the OS at it's lowest level. This represents a totally unrecoverable error in the OS. It's normally caused by a hardware or driver problem.

Check your RAM and peripherals and ensure you have up-to-date drivers. Use the hardware test CD/DVD that came with your machine to verify that the logic board is OK.
  3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    That'll be a kernal panic – while the odd one may happen from time to time frequent panics might indicate an underlying problem. Have you installed any software or added any hardware (like RAM) to your Mac recently?
  4. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Feb 14, 2004
    South Jersey
    I've had 4 kernal panics in the many years I've been a mac user, and unfortunately all 4 meant my logic board need to be replaced... Twice on my G3 iBook, once on my G4 iMac, and just last Friday on my G5 iSight iMac that Apple gave me for free to replace my G4 iMac...

I love my macs, but everyone of them seems to end up with a serious hardware issue...Apple always fixes it, and actually replaced 2 of the units for me, but it can be a pain...

Still, given the alternatives I wouldn't even consider using anything else- I just expect hardware issues and plan according...
  5. ibooksux macrumors newbie

Mar 15, 2006
    JEMEINC: How did you get Apple to replace your Mac?

Hey Jemeinc,
    I too have had that error a couple times in the past few months, on a iBook G3 800. The logic board was replaced in January 2005 and crapped out again yesterday. I called Apple, but my Applecare expired in November and it is past the date of the logicboard recall, so they were not willing to do anything. The guy on the phone said "we cant keep replacing these things.." True, but they already replaced mine and it crapped out again... Did you use Applecare to replace the board, or were you able to convince them to replace yours?

Thanks for the info
  6. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Feb 14, 2004
    South Jersey
    On the iBook they replaced it after the 3rd board went... It wasn't the easiest process in the world, and had I not been really persistant they would have continued replacing the logic board every 6 months... I was lucky because a brand new Apple store opened in my area right at the time it died for good, so I could actually talk to the store manager... I think you can get further with human interaction as opposed to trying to do it over the phone... The Apple employee was very helpful in the whole process...

The G4 iMac was replaced because they didn't have anymore logicboards so they had to replace the entire computer with the newest iMac, which was the G5 iSight at the time...

The iBook and the iMac were both covered under Applecare- the iMac was actually 2 weeks away from Applecare expiring... The G5 iMac is still under the 1 year standard warranty...