Help + Suggestions with LCD for Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacPanda, Jan 16, 2007.

1. MacPanda macrumors regular

Hey folks - i have mac mini plugged into this really clumsy old crt monitor and i thought it is time to get an lcd - right now i can't afford apple's displays too expensive for me - can you folks recommend me a good display- i was looking at this one - http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&sku=59233

what do you folks think of it? Really in line for a 19"/20" to be honest - living the uk is kinda making stuff more expensive

all help appreciated.

macpanda.

2. MacPanda thread starter macrumors regular

3. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

That Dell one is a good one. I wanted to recommend a Samsung one, but after checking it out it says it only works with Windows! :confused:

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

5. fireball jones macrumors member

I had a Samsung 17'' LCD, still runs (gave it to a family member), very sharp and clear.

I now have a Viewsonic 21'' widescreen. Much brighter and more colorful, not as sharp, but they're priced very reasonably in the US. DVI connectors seem to like to die though :rolleyes:

6. shikimo macrumors 6502

Acer...Belinea...

I've been checking out 19-20 inch monitors for a potential mini purchase--including evaluating over a dozen different brands in a hands-on capacity where I work--and Acer and Belinea seem to be great values in terms of reliability and image quality for the price. The Acer 1916 and 2016 are great, and at a slightly higher pricepoint the 1951 rules, and I like all the Belinea models. They both make great widescreen models too. All the above are widely available in France, so I imagine they're plentiful across the channel too. Oh, and I've had a look at fireball's Viewsonic, and I wouldn't kick that one out of the house either; this is another brand that seems to provide good bang for the buck, or in your case the pound.

In my view, the trick is to not buy a monitor online until you've seen it in person...every LCD that comes through our department has a different look to it, different footprint, different set of controls, mat vs glossy screen, different height/angle adjustments, different feng shui:eek: , etc., and I think it's risky to buy without a good long look.

And about compatibility: ANY monitor with DVI and/or VGA input should work. There have been several attempts to track success rates with different brands/sizes/models, none of which seem to reveal anything except that there are occasional communication problems between video cards and monitors, and that no model is 100% good or bad in this capacity.

Good luck, and let us know what you buy!

7. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

What I heard is that some of the newer samsungs no longer have a control panel on its bezel, requiring some Windows-only software to change display settings like contrast and brightness. That's pretty lame in my book, and for Mac users such a display is near worthless.

8. shikimo macrumors 6502

ouch

good golly thats terrible...

...and to be fair, the testing i do at work is always on a PC, so i might've missed it. I don't remember any of the samsungs like this, but i haven't seen them all. I'll be at the local appliance store later this afternoon, so i'll check out the new samsungs and post back.

Lots of monitors come with documentation saying something like "system compatibility: windows 98, xp, me, bs...," thus scaring off casual mac owners, while in fact they work perfectly fine, but this is a new twist...

Edit: just back from the mall. I saw plenty of Samsungs, and indeed one of them, the 971P

http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00042460.html

has no physical user interface and a computer-dedicated USB port, which is pretty solid circumstantial evidence that it needs a driver to make adjustments. However, the Samsung website advertises that it is mac-compatible

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Monitor/LCD_Digital/LS19MBPXFVXAA.asp?page=Specifications

and indeed the store had it wired up to a mac mini and it looked spectacular. so i dunno...maybe there's one or more Samsung models that won't work for us, but the dozen or so I looked at today seem ok.