Help! SuperDrive replacement DVR-104 firmware update?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by macphoria, Apr 9, 2003.

1. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

My old SuperDrive DVR-103 died on me, so I got a replacement, DVR-104. It works beautifully.

BUT!

I remembered older SuperDrives needed firmware update in order to accomodate new x4 DVD-R media. So I checked out Apple site and found this.

* For drives with the Product Identification DVR-104, no update is required if the Device Revision number is A227 or higher.
    * For drives with the Product Identification DVR-103, no update is required if the Device Revision number is 1.90 or higher.

On my System Profiler, instead of showing anything starting with A***, it simply stated 1.10. So I figured the drive needs firmware update. But when I tried to install firmware update version 1.0 from Apple, it stopped in the middle of installation and said "no SuperDrive detected" or something like that.

Now, question is, is this supposed to happen? Does this DVR-104 need firmware update? If so, how can I perform the firmware update?

Please reply if you have any information on this.

2. macphoria thread starter macrumors 6502a

macphoria

I found out because DVR-104 I purchased was aftermarket hardware, I needed Pioneer's own firmware upgrade.

BUT!

I tried installing Pioneer's own firmware upgrade R4TA133M in Mac OS 9.2.2 as instructed, it still would not upgrade the firmware. Does anyone have information on this? Please help!!!

3. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

I read somewhere that the only way this can be done is in a PC. I'll try to find the article.