help support the Mac!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jadam, Jun 23, 2002.

1. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

I have noting better to do, so let me go through this muffin character's opinions on the Mac's advantages versus dis.

-Tend to perform better at graphics editing
    Absolutely, especially with FCP.
    -Often come in shiny packages
    I still want a Titanium! :)

Disadvantages
    -Lack of upgradability
    I agree on that somewhat. I know that the iMac G4 has the lack upgradability, but the PowerMacs can be customized a little more.

-Poor support from developers
    I wouldn't have too much knowledge on this, but the people at Apple have been kind and specific on issues lately, especially from what I have seen on the forums. So I disagree.

-Require an emulator to run many programs (if you buy a mac to emulate a pc because you think macs are better, you are wasting your money)
    I am not sure about this, so let me go on.

-Often contain anoying bugs
    WTMFH? This guy must still be living with System 7! :eek: I'll admit, OS 9 had lots of problems, but this guy obviously has no idea how improved OS X is over the old OS 9, in terms of stability and GUI.

-Brags about inventing the mouse, yet still usually ships with only one freakin mouse button (what's the deal with that)
    I agree on this somewhat. Personally, I like the one button mouse, but I can't get used to two buttons. What would left handed people do? What would the buttons on portable Apple computers look like?

-Often come in shiny packages
    Big deal. You won't go blind. Unless you reflect the sunlight off your Titanium into your eyes.

-Many look fat because they stick everything in the monitor. I was a monitor to watch and a seprate tower for everything else.
    Yeah, get out of the iMac G3 era and look at the new ages. I agree that the eMac is kind of bulky, but at least it is the only CRT supercomputer Apple markets.

[-]Also, airflow for over clocking is much better in a tower.
    I'm not too certain about knowledge on the subject, so I will skip it.

I think that this muffin character needs to acertain himself with the modern Mac era, not the peecee world and the old Mac era.

3. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

Wow, brent. I had no idea you could curse on those forums.

Let's see if they work here... ***** ****ing mother****er *****.

Nope, I guess not! :D

BTW, I am referring to my "buddies" in my old elementary, so that nobody I know here is offended. ****ers. :cool:

5. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

actually dont even bother going there, this is what i posted...

6. jadam thread starter macrumors 6502a

jadam

they are just blind, give them some time, and they will see the light :) the bright shiny light.

7. Choppaface macrumors 65816

i wonder if you took all the time people wasted on these petty little squabbles and put it into R&D we would have consumer quantum computing by now.....

8. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

how do you define upgradability ?

Let's look at what the G4 Tower's got to start with:

Gigabit Ethernet
    Internal Modem/modem slot (not PCI)
    Firewire
    Airport/Airport slot (not PCI)
    Standard Audio (for games etc...)
    Dual Channel USB
    4 free PCI slots for further expansion.

Now let's look at a typical P4 or Athlon DDR Motherboard:

USB
    PS/2 (how old)
    Parallel (wow, had one of those on my Atari, how fast is it these days ?)
    Serial Ports (why bother when you've got USB)
    6 free PCI slots, but we need a few of these....

Gigabit Ethernet - 1 slot
    Firewire - 1 slot
    Modem - 1 slot
    Standard audio (SB Live! for example) - 1 slot

2 free PCI slots for further expansion, but what if you want to go wireless later on ? down to 1 slot now.

I'm not suggesting that everyone needs ethernet and a modem, for most people it's either but to pretty much configure a G4 with everything it can take and configure a PC with everything a G4 can take you've either got 1 or no PCI slots left depending on the motherboard.

I know there's motherboards with integrated Firewire and 100Mbit ethernet, even integrated audio but they seem to have less PCI slots from what I've seen so it all amounts to either having no expansion compared to the mac or very little, 1 maybe 2 free PCI slots.

9. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

barkmonster-
    Everything you said is absolutely true. However, compared to PCs, Macs are not as upgradeable in gerneral. You can't swap out a Macs mobo, proc, etc, without finding second-hand parts on eBay.

And when you're buying a Mac, they are without doubt less customisable. You can't build a Mac from bits and pieces from all over the place. You need the right case (unless you're one of those weird-ass mofos who put G4s in Mac Pluses :)) the right mobo and the right proc to go in it. You can only have one optical drive and one zip/floppy (again, unless you're one of those hack-my-new-hardware-to-pieces people).

If I needed maximum customisation, I'd have a PC, no doubt. If I needed maximum expandibility, I could go either way... Macs tend to come with more hard-wired ports/modem type things, but if I was serious I could get a PC system set up the same.

But who am I kidding... I'd choose a Mac any day. It's the OS that keeps me here.

10. King Cobra macrumors 603

And peecees still come with floppys? :eek: At Pascack Hills all the peecees there use floppy drives (no f!!!ing CD-RW) and people have been having countless probablems, especially from the two computers in the room I stay in for three periods straight.

They call peecees new by adding a new processor and some sh!!!y case, but they still have old devices and **** on them.

I think someone over in the peecee world needs to take a common sense pill. :cool: