Help the Mac Newb

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mf2k, Mar 28, 2006.

1. mf2k macrumors member

mf2k

SO! I need some software/hardware suggestions..

Software
    -----------

Is there any software that can read iso snd mount them other than Roxio? I have this piano software I want to run on hardrive and not have to put in and out the cd for 200mb of info.. grr

What is the best bittorrent client for my naruto?

Is there any good programming software for coding in mac? Free or Decently priced. Sliding scale of 0 - $300. I am going to be coding for OS X, Palm and Linux on this thing. (note should have thought of this first right? shut up! j/k)

Is there any good cartooning applications besides Flash8.. ?

I know this is the the thread for hardware but I had one itsy bitsy question.

Hardware
    -------------

What is the best wacom tablet? Graphire or Intuos? And what size would u guys get?

Thanks for all the help,

GNi

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Install the Developer tools from the Mac OS X DVD. XCode is a free IDE that uses gcc, maybe not as functional as MS Visual Studio, but being free it gives you much more bang for the buck. That's all you need for programming for the Mac.

The Palm OS tools are free but I'm not sure how they work on the Mac - they are Eclipse/Java based so you may be in luck. Edit: actually, the Palm OS developer tools are Windows only.

I'm not sure how you're going to program for Linux - I've built and installed some of the Apache projects (Apache 2, Tomcat, mod_jk etc) using the same code, on Linux and OS X, so it is possible, but you would just use the same tools as for OS X only.

3. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Cartoons: Let's start with 2D, static type: other than Flash 8 (which I use) there is ToonBoom Studio but it has it's limits. Some people use PS or Illustrator as well. I like using a Vector program myself so it's Flash 8 or Illustrator for those. I'm sure there may be more but that's my choice for those.

Intuos3 by far over the Graphire. Why? Other than I have a 6x8 Intuos3 and came from a Graphire 4x5, Try one at an Apple Store and you will see a nice difference between the two. The Intuos3 pens are very nice to hold and are smoother on the tablet. Also the Intuos has buttons on the sides that allow you to zoom, scroll, program the command and option button (great for using Flash).
    Last are the sizes, Intuos3 comes in 4x5, 6x8, 6x11 (wide), 9x12, 12x19 (wide) and so on. The mouse is also very nice with the Intuos as well but I really don't use it much.
    Hope this helps :)

4. mf2k thread starter macrumors member

mf2k

THANKS! Now I only need a way to open a .nrg on a mac.. anyone?

5. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

6. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Are these connected?

You can use Disk Utility to make a disk image of a CD for mounting without the physical CD in the drive.
    1. Start Disk Utility
    2. Select the tree item in the CD drive in the left hand column. (Not the drive itself, but the item below it).
    3. File -> New -> Disk Image from disk1s1
    4. Eject CD
    5. Double click your newly created .dmg file to mount it.

Did I answer your question or did I just not get it?

7. mf2k thread starter macrumors member

mf2k

That works but I cant burn iso with OSX Can I?

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

re: development
    xcode is the standard IDE, comes with all Macs, free download on ADC site. theres a lot of other stuff out there, third party IDEs, text editors, compilers and such too (subetha, textmate, eclipse, bluej, komodo, codewarrior (now discontinued), ...). for palm i'm not sure about, but gcc can cross-compile stuff.

re: bittorrent
    azureus is the most advanced client
    transmission is a lightweight one
    bittorrent (the one on bittorrent.com) is also good
    tomato torrent's interface is a little perplexing
    bits on wheels is reminiscent of azureus but OS X native...but no unibin
    check out the rest on http://www.slyck.com/programs.php?net=1

personal favorite's azureus, because it's the only one that actually lets me control up/down speeds per torrent as well as having a global cap...plus it's one of the only functional unibins right now.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You can absolutely create, mount and burn ISOs or DMGs without any third party software. mount with a double click. Create and burn with Disk Utility.

FYI. You can generally turn most NRG files into plain ISO by removing the first 30 kbytes. From Terminal:
    Code:
    dd if=image.nrg of=image.iso bs=512 skip=600
    B

10. TAV macrumors regular

Agreed with the last past on Azureus for the intel machine. Not sure why peeps like other clients more than AZ - with some of them, you have very little to zero control - with AZ you have alot of options - and as was stated, its universal.

11. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

Interesting.

I've often wondered by peeps like Az instead of others like transmission and Wheels.

Other than being able to select a particular file to download (which is handy, but I rarely need to do that) and it's cool that it's universal. But Az just sucks for me...half the time it won't even start. A while back, I had Az running, and accidently opened another torrent client, and ever since then AZ warns me that I'm already running another client, even though I'm not. I'm pretty sure I have the most recent version too.

To each there own, but I'll stick with Wheels and Transmission.:cool:

12. janey macrumors 603

janey

Whatever floats your boat - I use bittorrent a lot, have like 20 torrents open at a time, and azureus isn't as screwey as transmission or BoW.

There's a few bittorrent clients out there that are unibins, but nothing can match azureus in terms of features.

It's killer when you have more than one torrent too (as in, with transmission, BoW, tomatotorrent and bittorrent, not all torrents would be connectable).

Also, every client (even BoW)'s lack of customizability got to me eventually (little settings, like global caps for both upload and download, and ones for individual torrents...rechecking torrents, displaying accurate stats, setting file priorities, which sources to get peer connection info from, advanced queueing)

And to top it off, some mac clients are banned from sites I frequent (most notably BoW at Oink), so BoW, my former #2, goes out the window.

13. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Try Java. I've heard it's cross-platform. ;)

14. mf2k thread starter macrumors member

mf2k

There is no freeaware solution? or under 50?

and..

dd if=image.nrg of=image.iso bs=512 skip=600 if I remove this or add this it should work?

15. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I'm not sure why you expect to be able to open a .nrg file on a Mac. I assume .nrg is short for Nero Image.

And why don't you just create a .dmg from the CD and get rid of the .nrg file in the first place?

16. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yup, NRG is what you expect, though I don't know why you wouldn't just stick with plain old boring ISO as for most cases that's all that is required for imaging a CD.

NRG and DMG both can add stuff on top of that which renders the files incompatible with other solutions, but both Nero and OS X work fine with straight ISOs. The only place (IMHO) where the proprietary formats are useful are for more complicated images like multisession discs, etc...

http://gregory.kokanosky.free.fr/v4/linux/nrg2iso.en.html is another tool to replace the dd command I provided.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20040121135301830 has more info on converting from DMG <-> ISO and NRG.

BTW. There is no freeware/shareware required, since all the needed utilities come with the OS.

B