HELP! THIS ONE IS A DOOZY!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by the Natetrix, Sep 16, 2004.

1. the Natetrix macrumors member

I work in a graphic design lab at my college and we have run into a problem that I can't figure out for the life of me. Hopefully someone out there has had similar problems and might be able to lead me to some solutions.

We use an authenticator for deligating a point system (like credits) for our printers for the students to use. The program we run to do this is HiResolution's MacAdministrator 3.1. The problem we are having is that no matter what kind of computer, so long as it is hooked up to the ethernet server that sends to the printers, no files from either Adobe Illustrator CS nor InDesign CS will print. I mention MacAdministrator only because when I log on as a local admin user thus bypassing the authenticator, the jobs send no problem.

But as a regular user who is at the mercy of this software, the files will spool to the main sever, where the the jobs are then put in a queue to be sent to the one of 4 identical printers (Xerox Phaser 5400s), but Illustrator and InDesign files will not print

We have discovered that Illustrator and Indesign files will send if the characters in the file name are five or LESS (how weird is that?!).

I was wondering what is different about these two programs that keeps them from successfully being printed out?! The only work around we have for this is save them as PDFs and print them in Acrobat.

We are running Panther 10.3.4 on every computer, we tried updating a few to 10.3.5 to see if it made a difference but no go.

What gives? How can it be that these two programs can not send to our network printers but every other one can?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Not having access to either application, this is a shot in the dark. However, not all Adobe apps default to Apple's standard print driver. They used an application-specific driver. This was the case with PageMaker. The upside was that it worked well when it worked. When it did not work, the workaround was to use the Apple driver.

3. the Natetrix thread starter macrumors member

Is there anyway I could get these apps to use the apple default printer driver rather than these app specific drivers? (assuming you are on the money with this being a plausible issue)

Thank you so much for trying to help out it means a lot!