HELP . Tiger Clean Install or Upgrade . advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by aerolex, May 9, 2005.

1. aerolex macrumors newbie

hello hello hello .

all the mac pros here in these forums . i need a bit of honest advice .

i've broken in my dual G5 system, having it now for a bit over a year .

i've optimized my workflow . changed icons . installed a good number

of apps . and made good memories .

BUT . i wanted to ask .

I WOULD LIKE TO INSTALL TIGER . could anyone offer an argument as

to why doing a clean install would be better/more stable than an

upgrade ? ? ? ? ? ?

if i clean install . i'll have to back up hundreds of GB's worth of files .

and reinstall countless apps and haxies .

ANY ADVICE ? ? ? ? ? ?

i did a clean install on my ibook . really enjoy tiger .

but on my main work system im having second thoughts on the

trouble it would take to do a clean install .

thanks

lex

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I'm not really "up" on installs but this is my understanding.

Upgrading is a more complicated process. It's got to find changes, replace them, delete others, and work it into your current OS. A clean install is all pure Tiger files, nothing to get mixed up, etc.

I have an iBook and when I upgraded it from Jaguar to Panther, I did an upgrade, but things were extremely slow and it used a LOT of hard disk space. After that, I reformatted and did a clean install. My hard drive had much more space remaining and everything worked cleaner.

3. lazyboy922 macrumors 6502

lazyboy922

I think you would be better off doing a clean install. Besides, you can never go wrong backing up your files. You never know what can happen. I remember when I used software update instead of just downloading the combo update from apples server. The combo update 10.3.7 install ended up freezing on the install, and I lose everything since my powerbook wouldn't boot after that. From now on, I never use shortcuts.

Hope this advice helps

Don

4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Archive and Install!

Linkety to something that may help you (STICKY IT PLEASE MODS! :) )

5. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

If I were you I would just upgrade, as I *had* to do a clean install due to disk errors. I had to backup over 30GBs of apps, documents, music, photos... I had my system all tweaked and set to my optimization, and then bam, I need a clean install.

While I'm glad I now have backups of it all, it's a good 8-10 hour process if ya just sit down and back it all up, organize it, and once installed, put it all back together. However, my computer is running faster after the erase and install.

Anyway, having just gone though it, I would say go for it if you have a day to kill (and dedicate some attention to your system) and not do it until you have the time (ex. not a weekday).

P.S. Be sure to back up your classic system folder, as Tiger doesn't;t have one. Also, if not backed up, you will lose AppleWorks.

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

You couldn't repair the disk? I tell you how to do that in my little FAQ thingy.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I did an upgrade but wasn't happy with it. I had some spare time so I quickly did an erase and install and it runs much better now. I don't think the differences are huge, but there are little things like Spotlight has everything indexed properly. I only had about 60GB of files to back up though, so it really wasn't all that taxing. :)

Don't bother if it's too hard.