Help! Tired of looking for newbie web page builders

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by naauao, Oct 27, 2006.

1. naauao macrumors newbie

Spent 3 days looking for a web site creator that was:
    -Inexpensive
    -Made for a novice like me
    -made for mac

Give me some help everyone as I have intel dual core 20" mac and want to put up a decent web page for my small business without going in to debt for software or some expensive company because I want to do it myself, yet understandable. Googled a bunch of sites for "How-to-build a website using html" and some suggested just using MWord that I have on my computer already. Lists of software please and why. Thanks in advance everyone!:confused:

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

iWeb as part of the iLife suite is great. Dead easy to use and for what you get in iLife it is WELL worth the price.

EDIT: Why? It is drag and drop simplicity, has loads of templates to get you started and integrates seamlessly with iPhoto, iTunes etc.

3. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

RapidWeaver. Great program and can grow with you when you start to learn more and more. If you get advanced it is a good starting block for HTML and CSS. However you don't have to worry about that right now...for a complete beginner, RapidWeaver is so so easy and great to use, just like any other iLife App. Has iLife integration, just like iWeb, and you can get more themes to make your site look amazing.

www.realmacsoftware.com

4. mcmadhatter macrumors 6502

mcmadhatter

5. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

Any other suggestions on Web Page builders for newbies?

I've tried the free downloads for both Sandvox and RapidWeaver - but both don't have enough themes for what I'm looking for.
    I've also got and tried iWeb, but it's not really great for customising a lot of things., meaning that you can only change the basics.... unless I'm not using it write.
    Any Suggestions?

6. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Check out my sites in my sig. They are done in iWeb. I think you will be quite surprised what can be achieved.

7. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

i second rapidweaver.. it's great..

re: your comment about lack of themes

if you go to their support forums, there are plenty of 3rd parties who develop great themes - not just realmacsoftware themselves.

have another look and it should fulfill your needs :)

if not, some of the 3rd parties can make you a custom theme too..

8. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

WOW:eek:
    I guess I have no idea what I'm doing in iWeb.
    Any pointers for a newbie?

I will have another look through, I'll tryout the themes before I consider buying the full version of Rapidweaver.

THANKS

9. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

If you dont want it to look like all the other iWeb pages out there, start with a blank page instead of a template.

Have an idea in your head about how you want it to look and fire away. It is actually quite a powerful tool. I dont know one bit of HTML.

Also keep things simple too. Dont add stuff you dont need.

10. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

iWeb seems easy enough, and the results are excellent.
    The iLife suite is a smokin' deal considering what you get for $79.00

11. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

Thakns for all the pointers. I'll give it a go...
    Now all I need to get now is a .Mac Account.

I have a question; I've got a "virtual production company" much like Monster Zero Productions, well smaller and i send out the "scripts" via e-mails... but with a .Mac account can you pick your own address? like: helix.omnimedia .co.uk Or will it be a one that Apple.Mac assigns?

I'm really sorry that this a veered of the original question/topic.
    THANKS

12. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

:eek:

Never, never, NEVER use Word to create a website/page. If you know your HTML and take a look at what Word generates you'll just have a heart-attack. Go with the suggestion people here have offered about cheap/free software to use. I use Photoshop/Dreamweaver/etc to design and code my sites, but that's me.

13. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

I do not know how much you are willing to spend, but Freeway Express gives you a lot of control for an easy web site builder. It's universal and $99.