Help to Merge seperated hard drives on MacBook 60G

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by flowers&ladbugs, Sep 7, 2006.

1. flowers&ladbugs macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I resently bought a MacBook 60G, that was particaly provided by a goverment grant for university and was set up for me whilst software I require was installed. During this proscess someone seperated my Macintosh hard drive in two, so I now have a Macintosh hard drive with 30G avaliable and another seperate drive containing the other 30G called data disk.
    This is a problem for my organisation of flies as I would like to store them in the appropriate folders music, documents, photos ect, contained in the Macintosh hard drive but it has already become full.
    Does anyone know how I could undo this and merge the two drives as one to be a 60G independent hard drive as it originaly was.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    xSarahx

2. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Hi Sarah, and welcome to the forum. There are some apps out there that do it (like VolumeWorks), but everyone I know who has used them have reported flaws from basic mapping to entirely dead hard drives (more likely to happen when decreasing a partition size, but I still wouldn't recommend it). Your best option is to use another computer, dvd-rws, or an external drive to back up your user folder (or whole system using something like Carbon Copy Cloner) and blanking and reformatting, setting the drive to a single partition. Otherwise, you can just migrate some of the larger folders over to your unused partition (which is not a bad idea, as it leaves the rest of your OS partition with tons of scratch disc space). Good luck!