Help!! Transfer data from MBP to my new MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JustGotAMAC, Feb 15, 2007.

1. JustGotAMAC macrumors newbie

Is there a way to transfer all the information including pictures to my new MBP. I'm also interested in knowing if there is a way to clone my hard drive, that way I can have all the information stored on a external drive. I upgraded from a 1.83 CD MBP 15" to a C2D MBP 15 2.33 and see really no need for the lower end model.

Please give me some suggestions, as I would like to auction off the 1.83 to offset the new purchase. Thanks

BTW, main reason I got rid of the 1.83 MBP is because it gets entirely tooooo hot.

2. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

When starting up the new machine for the first time you would have had the option to transfer data from another mac. To do this later, use 'Migration assistant' in the Utilities folder.

If you want to back up the whole drive, use disk utility to make an image of the drive.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Connect the two computers. Get SuperDuper. Copy the old HD onto the new one.

4. JustGotAMAC thread starter macrumors newbie

Would I install SuperDuper on the new mac or old.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

No... use smueboy's suggestion and use Migration Assistant.

Don't clone it... just use the assistant. It works quite well, and it's faster.

Once done, SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner work well for cloning to external drives. You install in on whichever Mac you intend to clone. :)

If you're dead-set on cloning to the new MBP, install one of the cloning apps onto your old Mac, then attach the new one with Firewire and boot it (the new one) with the 'T' key pressed to boot as a firewire drive ("Target mode") and then use the clone app to clone from your old Macs HD to the new Macs HD.