Help Transfering Files from PC

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by edward-k, Nov 7, 2004.

1. edward-k macrumors member

Jun 19, 2004
    I recently moved to mac from a 4 year old dell. I saved all of my files from the dell on a bunch of cd's. The Mac reads the files fine, I have copied them all to a desktop folder called "old dell stuff". The files all show up in the file and are recognized appropriatly. However, if I try to delete any of them (on the mac) it asks me for my system password every time. It will delete them once I type it, but this seems like a headache. Is there any way to get around this or prevent it from happening to begin with. Thanks in advance for any help. Ed

I am currently running 10.3.6 on a G5 2.5x2 if that matters.
  2. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    It seems that your files or perhaps your "old dell stuff" folder does not have the proper permissions. Click on the folder and then press [Apple]-I for Get Info. Scan down to Ownership & Permissions:. If you don't see it, click the triangle to reveal the You can: pop-up menu. Select Read & Write from the pop-up. You should also click the triangle next to Details: Click the padlock. Change Owner: to your account.