Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

warrior

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
I have an old database system using filemaker 3 with a few really old macs (performas!!!) I am going to replace them all with mac minis. How can i transfer all the files from the performas to the minis? the performas have no ethernet port. the have either a modem port or an old printer port. What is the best way to transfer all the data?
One way i was thinking was to get an external disk drive (bec the performas have disk drives), but that would take forever given that you can only fit 1.4 mb on each disk. (i dont have any clue how to network them with a phone line--if that even is possible).
I appreciate anyones help and comments.

(side note-which i wrote in a different thread-are there any issues with converting filemaker 3 to 7?)

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
What you need is a localtalk to ethernet bridge. This will get you communicating between your Macs using Appletalk.

I personally do this all the time... my PowerBook Duo 2300c only has a printer port on it. I use an AsanteTalk bridge (like this one) to link it into my ethernet network here at home. I constantly move files back and forth between my PowerBook G3 running Mac OS X and my Duo running Mac OS 8.6 this way.

Hope that helps a little.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.