Help! Trouble Connecting PS2 to Web Using APE

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Col. Panic, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Col. Panic macrumors member

I just bought one of the new slim PS2s with the built-in network adapter and I am having trouble connecting to the internet through my AirPort Express.

Here's my set up. I have my PS2 connected via ethernet to an AirPort Express behind my entertainment center. I have another AirPort Express in the basement connected via ethernet to my cable router. I am using Comcast for my ISP.

When I go to ISP setup on my PS2 I select: I have an ISP > Automatic Configuration > Other > Test Settings.

According to Comcast's FAQ this is all I should need to do.

Possible problem: I am using an ethernet cable I got from one of the tech guys at work. The little clip that you need to press to release the wire when removing the cable is broken off but I made sure it is securely in the PS2.

Other than that I am at a loss.

Should there be any problems using 2 AirPort Expresses in this setup? Or, am I missing something else? I have a feeling I am just missing something really obvious.

I will try another ethernet cable but I really don't think that is the issue.

Thanks for your help!

2. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

The APE's ethernet port does not work like that. It is only for plugging in a source that provides internet i.e. cable/DSL modem. You can't use it as a wireless adapter for the PS2.

And if I am wrong about this, please let me know. I have one of the new PS2 units and an APE as well but I don't want to spend $100 for a wireless adapter for the PS2.

3. Col. Panic thread starter macrumors member

It works! All it needed was a reboot of the AirPort Express. I may have jiggered it a bit when I inserted the ethernet cable into the Express. I knew it would be something stupid. I just played a bit of Ratchet & Clank online and got my butt kicked by a bunch of 13 year olds. I was in college before they were born! I feel old.

I have the new slim PS2 that has the networking adapter built in. So all I needed to do was connect it to the internet via my wireless connection.

If you have the older PS2 you will need to buy the network adapter.