Help "unimplemented trap"???

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by mymemory, Jul 31, 2002.

1. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Ok, I just started my G4 and I got this:

Sorry, system error occurred
    unimplemented trap
    To temporarily turn off extensions, restar and hold down the shift key.

Ok, firs, I do not know why I'm getting this. I just started up the computer on OSX (I get the error with 9.2.2) and trashed the sys preference and replaced the finder icon, then I restarted under 9.2.2 and the message is there again.

2nd. why in hell Apple is telling me to start up agani with the extensions off? does that resolve the problem? No! so why am I getting such useless message?

Any way, if any body knows what the message is about please let me know, I'm in my holly Pismo right now.

Thanx.

2. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

mymemory

3. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Well...

...make sure you're forcing it into X (which shouldn't have extensions you can turn off), and hold down command-s while rebooting. Run fsck, and type logout. If that doesn't work, then you've got problems.

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Do you get the bomb when running Classic or just when you boot with OS 9?
    Have you TRIED opening the extensions manager on OS 9 startup or does it bomb before it allows you to?
    Have you installed any Classic programs recently?
    Have you tried zapping the PRAM?

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Do you run with all extensions on normally or do you turn everything you don't absolutely need off using the extension manager program?

Does it still give you a unimplemented trap error when booting into classic? or when you boot into OS 9 and turn all extensions off?

What programs, shareware, or hardware was recently loaded or upgraded?

Have you looked through the system folder for files that may be causing the problem?

(Search System Folder, Fonts, Control Panels, Extensions, Startup Items for files out of place - such as a font in the extensions folder)

Have yun Disk First Aid, fsck -y, and rebuilt the desktop to rule out a file system error? Zapped pram to rule out corruption there?

6. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

force OSX

You can hold down option while booting and see it will display a list of your Bootable disks/OS's. Take a look and see if your Mac can recognise OS X or not. If you can, pick OSX and let it boot. It could be you have a problem with OS9 and its stuck pointing at OS9 as the boot drive. I have had a problem like that before. I picked OS X as my bootdrive, rebooted, it came up in OS9 and crashed. Did the option thing and came up in OSX.

7. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

mymemory

Thanx guys,

The problem is not with OSX, it is with OS 9. Yes, I get the bomb jst after the computer loads the first extention. I can start up with the extention manager but no matter how basic the set up is I get the same message.

Any way, I end up using the "G4 system restore disc" and sending folder from one partintion to the other. Now I have to update the system again.

Who know what generate that message, once each 3 or 4 years I get something like that.

Thanx any way.