Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
This is driving me crazy! So I installed edubuntu on an old tangerine imac quite some time ago, but now I'd rather be working from OSX (or even 9.2). However, if I try to install OSX, the install doesn't see the HD. I know the HD is working because edubuntu works. I've tried wiping the disk through the install process in edubuntu, but that doesn't work. I'm sure there's something I can do to get this going again, but I've found no help on the web... HELP!!

YT

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Put the OS X Install DVD in the computer, and when it loads, go to Disk Utility under the tools menu. Select the disk and format it (HFS+). It will then appear in the installer as an available destination drive.

Until you do this, the installer won't be able to find it, because the filesystem isn't one capable of containing a bootable Mac OS volume.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Hmm... I'll try again, but I don't remember those options. I only have a disk for 10.0 - I know for 10.3 and .4 you can get to the disk utility...I'll give it a try again and see if it's there.

Thanks for the response!
YT

Put the OS X Install DVD in the computer, and when it loads, go to Disk Utility under the tools menu. Select the disk and format it (HFS+). It will then appear in the installer as an available destination drive.

Until you do this, the installer won't be able to find it, because the filesystem isn't one capable of containing a bootable Mac OS volume.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden

OK.. :eek: I feel so silly. The disk utility is in a slightly different place on 10.0 and didn't see it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.