HELP! USB 2.0 Card with Beige G3

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by whitefish, Feb 22, 2006.

1. whitefish macrumors newbie

Hello to all! Here's a newbie with a question :)

I'm helping my parents set up a G3 Beige. I bought a IoGear 2-port 2.0 USB card. I installed it in the first empty PCI slot and fired up the computer. No prompts to install new software or error messages. I checked the System Profiler, and the USB card is not recognized.

I'm getting power to the card - I plugged in a Sandisk USB card reader and the light comes on.

I searched the forum for similar problems - I did find someone with USB issues with OS 9.2.2 (which is what we have).

I downloaded an installed USB Card Update 1.4.1. Again, no luck.

What and I doing wrong :confused:

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Is that USB card compat with a Mac? Are you sure the card can be installed with 9.2.2?

Bless

3. whitefish thread starter macrumors newbie

On the box it states that it is compatible with 8.6 and higher. I wasn't until later that I saw that G3 Beige not supported. I suspect that this is due to USB 2.0.

I e-mailed IoGear and this is the reply "The problem isn't the drivers it is the slot might not be a 32 bit slot
    and is a 16 bit slot." The PCI board, I believe, is 32bit.

Essentially, I'm trying to figure out whether this is a software extension(driver) issue - sorry for the PC lingo - newbie.

Running OS 9.2.2, not OS X. :)

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I guess you will have to take it back..sorry.

Bless

5. whitefish thread starter macrumors newbie

6. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

It's a while since i fiddled with this but i have a feeling you're out of luck - i had a Rev A Beige and i'm pretty sure that despite trying everything, there was no way of getting USB into it. It might be possible with the later Revs..

Some of these people at MacNN seem to have had more success however.

This card has vague support for Rev C:

7. whitefish thread starter macrumors newbie

I pulled the IOGEAR Card and returned. Picked up a generic (Link World) USB 1.0 PCI Card. Worked the first try. Definately just a hardware issue. Worked with REV A ROM.

Thanks for the suggestions and help :)