HELP. USB ports in G4 Cube doesn't work.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by krey, Dec 31, 2004.

1. krey macrumors newbie

Somebody gave me a G4 Cube 500 Mhz/256/20GB/CDRW/Ethernet/Modem. The cube able to boot up, I can see the installed Mac OS 9.1, but it can't detect any device that hooked up in USB port 2. And yes, there is a problem with USB port 1, the pin inside crushed, and the jack is missing.

Is there a way to fix this problem? I want to have this Cube working with USB port 2 only, and I've tried to use different mouse/keyboard and still the machine doesn't recognize the device. Please Help. Thanks.

2. cfd macrumors member

Can you see the USB ports in Apple System Profiler?

3. krey thread starter macrumors newbie

It gave the logon screen, but I can't to do anything, since it does not detect the keyboard/mouse.

4. cfd macrumors member

Ooops....It appears that putting two and two together this AM ain't working all that well.

I can't think of anything other than replacing the logic board. Should be ~$200 USD.

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Sounds to me like you simply abused the ports too much...

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I think the USB controller is b0rked. Anyone else?

In any case, new logic board for you!

7. KevRC4130 macrumors 6502

8. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

He doesn't say if he's got the Cube speakers, but they won't work plugged into a hub (yes, I realize he's got bigger problems...).

It's also possible that the damaged USB connector is shorting out the USB bus, in which case the hub on the ADC monitor probably won't work either.

10. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

You right, if his USB connectors are fried then it probably fried the USB Bus, so the monitor would not work.
    Try and find a used logic board, that is your best bet.

11. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I said that... :p

Used logic board is the only way to go. And while you are taking the Cube apart, you might as well upgrade the processor, hard drive, and optical drive. Add a fan, too.

12. krey thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the responses and helps, and it looks like a lot of work to be done when replacing the logic board which cost $150-200 on eBay. Thanks guys.

13. panphage macrumors 6502

Like the man said, go to Cubeowner.com. There's a huge FAQ about all things Cube and if it ain't in the FAQ, someone's probably asked about it in the forums.

Using the USB ports off an ADC monitor is also a great idea, if you know someone who has an ADC monitor you could just do a test with theirs.