Help!! Using an iBook G4 and television

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by pennae, Feb 4, 2004.

1. pennae macrumors newbie

Oct 5, 2003
    Ok, I'm really confused. I was hoping that hooking my ibook up to a TV would be really easy and would "just work". It's now 3hrs since I first tried...

I have the adapter, I have the cables. I just can't seem to get it to work. I've tried every different resolution on the iBook to no avail. I've tried rebooting. Sleeping. Pulling my hair out.

Upon looking at the support pages on my problem, I came accross the resolutions that should "just work". Since I'm in Australia, all the TVs in my house are PAL - so I need to set it to 640x480 50Hz, 800x600 50Hz or 1024x768 50Hz. Except in the list of resolutions that comes up under prefs there is no option for 50Hz - 60 is the lowest (and 56 for 800x600 i think).

So... how do I set my lil iBook to PAL? Or is my adapter NTSC only for some reason (which would be odd since I bought it here!!!). It's no good just to tell me to set a TV to NTSC - I also teach, and the TVs at the school are all PAL!! The reason I got an ibook was to be able to hook it up to a TV when a projector wasn't available for class presentations...

Any suggestions??? Any advice?? ANYTHING APPRECIATED!!!
  2. Helmut Kool macrumors member

Mar 8, 2003
    What kind of cables are you using? I've got an iBook G4 connected to a PAL television with an s-video cable (and Apple's adapter). It works with any resolution without changing any settings.
  3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

Dec 27, 2003
    Portland, OR

Put computer to sleep.
    Plug everything in.
    Turn on tv.
    Wake up iBook.