Help using ipad+mifi abroad

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ferritt, Oct 1, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Aug 8, 2007

I'm travelling to the states in the new year and i'm planning on bringing my ipad (wifi only) with me. I have an unlocked mifi device and am also planning to bring that with me. I know i can use the current sim card thats in there already (3UK) but the roaming charges will be very high so can I pop into a AT&T or T-Mobile store once I've arrived and pick up a data sim to use in the mifi? Do AT&T/T-mobile even do such a thing.

Any help/advice would be great

2. macrumors 6502a

Jun 21, 2010
    Daytona Beach
    I don't think they support it. I know they don't sell mifi devices and from what I have read it looks like people take their sim cards out of other devices and put them in their mifi to get them to work. I think you would have to have an already activated sim card to get it to work.
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 8, 2007
    Is there not like a pre pay voice and data sim. Obviously I will only be using the data. I'm surprised nothing like this exists?

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 8, 2007
    Ok so after abit of googling I found out it's possible to get a ipad AT&T microsim and use the normal sim adapter and place in the mifi. I then enter (changing x for 0 and y for the sim card number) into my iPad. This will appear as it's the AT&T data sign up page like on the iPad 3G. Sign up to the required plan as normal. Then I have to add the correct apn setting to the mifi so it will connect to AT&T.

This method seems to work on iPhones so I would assume it should work with a mifi

Obviously I can't check if this works until I'm actually in the states.