HELP...Video Problem.....

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mocman, Jul 7, 2005.

1. mocman macrumors regular

Here is the deal. Today when I got home I came in to my Powermac G5 and the screen looks as if it is stuck in 256 color mode.
    I ran the apple hardware test. I switched monitors. I pulled out my ati card and replacedit. I replaced the DVI cable. I repaired permissions. I went to ati site to replace drivers. STILL NOTHING.
    Please Help me if anyone knows anything els that I can try....Thanks

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Did you check the monitor prefpane and make sure it wasn't in 256 colors?

Have you logged in as another user? Zapped the PRAM? Reset the NVRAM?

3. mocman thread starter macrumors regular

Yea check the monitor and reset to factory. Have no clue on the Pram and the NVram. How do I do that??

4. mocman thread starter macrumors regular

Did a little research and found out how to reset the pram and nvram and still nothing???
    If it was a video card problem would the hardware test get it??
    Would a fresh install of tiger do the trick??
    Thanks Again.......Driving me NUTTTTTTSSSSSSSSSSSSS..........

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Err.. Sorry, my fault, I didn't mean the monitor, I meant the Displays Preference pane in System Preferences. Make sure Colors is set to Millions. Also, check the Color tab and make sure the OS is using the proper display profile. Go ahead and calibrate it yourself, if need by.

The other thing you need to do is swap out your current monitor for another monitor. Make sure the "old" one is (or isn't) broken when hooked up to another computer, and the "new/borrowed" one isn't having the same problem. This should help narrow the problem considerably.

I think reinstalling the OS is a bit premature. Make sure it's not just something in your login first, make sure it's not a dodgy monitor second.

6. mocman thread starter macrumors regular

Thx yellow, I tried all of the above and even reinstalled tiger thinking something got replaced?
    I get the same result with another lcd that I had in my office. I calibrated it and the words are alot better but everthing else is out of wack.
    Then I hook up my dell 2005fpw and the black and whites go to blue and I see lines even before I turn on the mac.
    I thought at first it may be the dell lcd but now that I switched.... :mad:
    Will any ati card with dvi work or does it have to be for a G5...Thanks Again

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

No, it has to be for a Mac. PC and Mac video cards use different ROMs. You should be calling Apple at this point, if you're still under warranty (you did buy AppleCare, right?), it will be replaced for free.

8. mocman thread starter macrumors regular

Neg on the applecare. Yea I know I thought I would never need it as most of the world. I bought it on the refurb apple site last year and I would think that warranty has passed.
    Do you think I should try a fresh erase and install of tiger. If it would not help I would not bother. I have all backed up. Thanks yellow for your HELP........

9. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Did you buy the computer over a year ago?

Cause if you are still within the year, you can purchase the Applecare.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I can't honestly say whether a fresh install will help/fix. Have you tried logging in as another user yet and seeing if the colors were screwed up there as well?

11. mocman thread starter macrumors regular

On the phone now with Apple. I am still within my 1 year warr. It is good until Sept. I just hope that I will not have to ship my whole computer to them. Anyway I will keep you posted on the outcome. Oh Yea after this little ordeal I WILL GET APPLECARE..............Thanks

12. mocman thread starter macrumors regular

Talked to Apple told me to take to nearest service. Comp is the closest but I think I will drive the extra 25 miles to the Apple Store.
    Anyone have anything that I should know before I take it to them??

13. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

You could always reformat and see if that fixes it. Might be less work for you and if you have to drop it off you will lose your info anyways so I would try it before taking it to them.