Help Viewer Crashing in 10.2.x

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by naki, Dec 5, 2003.

1. naki macrumors newbie

Today I've tried to use Help Viewer with a number of different applications. Every time it crashes just after I start the Viewer. Up until today Help had been working fine.

The Apple Knowledge Base simply suggested I upgrade my OS. I was using 10.2.6 anyway, but I updated to 10.2.8. From the Apple Discussion board I followed the instructions on Dr Smoke's X-Lab site (http://www.thexlab.com/book/troubleshootingmacosx.html) but this did not work.

Can anybody tell me how to get my Help working again?

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

The help viewer in 10.2 was always really terrible. My friend was able to open it up and open the force-quit panel to watch the help viewer stop responding. After a minute or so of pinwheeling it would just crash. I would try to find the information you need online - even when the 10.2 viewer works it is REALLY slow.

3. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

Re: Help Viewer Crashing in 10.2.x

I'm sure they were hoping you'd upgrade to Panther ;)
    Which isn't a bad idea, since Help Viewer has been revamped in Panther. It now uses the Safari SDK to render the Help Files.

As for Help Viewer in Jaguar, I never had any luck with it. It would always freeze on me and I'd force quit, or it would just crash. Sorry. :(