help viewer

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by terlga, Nov 9, 2003.

1. terlga macrumors newbie

I have just installed Panther on my G4,
    the help info is there for most applications, eg iChat, Quicktime, but when I try to use Mac help the window opens and then closes again straight away,
    the same happens when I open mail help and and go further than the second help item. Can I re-install or download the help viewer, or repair this problem?

2. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Jeez, that sucks. I have no idea. Did you do an archive and install? My guess would be that for some reason you're still using the Jaguar Help Viewer. I say this only because that kind of behavior was very common in Jaguar. I know that in my experience, for the whole 14 months I had Jaguar, it often crashed or failed to open pages.

It's supposed to be much more stable in Panther, I believe. Something to do with using the same rendering core that Safari uses.

P.S. How's Cardiff? I studied Welsh for a little while in college.

3. terlga thread starter macrumors newbie

help viewer

Thanks for your reply Awimoway, I managed to solve this problem by going into osx system-library-core services
    and clicking on the helpviewer Icon,
    it then worked ok.
    Cardiff is fine, but why would anyone want to learn Welsh? especially in California.
    Thanks
    Terry

4. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I have Welsh ancestors and an interest in genealogy. Also, I lived in England for a time when I was young and my two trips to Wales left quite an impression on me. Particularly the boy my age that I met at a backcountry B&B who didn't speak a word of English. Until then, I hadn't thought that was possible in the 20th Century (1980's).

Actually, I was in Utah when I studied Welsh. Oddly enough, there is a large library of Welsh material (nothing recent) at my school's library. I can't remember why. Something to do with the Welsh immigrants who came there, a few of which formed the core of what become the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

But the only professor at my school who teaches Welsh does it on the side. His emphasis is Portuguese, of all things. Others in the class were just language lovers, Tolkien fans (and other fantasy/Celtic lore fans), etc.