Help w/iPod Mini Disk Usage? (Easy Question)

Discussion in 'iPod' started by miked_in_canada, Aug 1, 2006.

1. miked_in_canada macrumors member

Hi folks, I'm transferring a bunch of large files between my iPod mini and another machine.

The only problem I have is that the iPod mini doesn't want to let go of some old files. For example, I load up the iPod mini as much as I can and after I transfer these files I delete those files from the iPod mini by dragging them to the trash. Then when I hook up the iPod mini to the other machine, the files are gone but the disk space still appears occupied.

I googled some other board who mentioned there is a "trash" on the mini itself but I can't find it. This is pretty frustrating.

Also, is there a way I can take a playlist created on the iPod mini and transfer it back to its home machine?

Thanks!

2. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Hi Mike,
    I just want to clarify for the other readers of this thread. Did you empty the trash before unplugging the iPod from your computer? If you didn't the files might still be on the iPod. The site you found probably was making reference to a ".trash" file which by unix standard would be invisible, and why you can't find it.

If I'm not mistaken if you made an 'on the go' play list on your iPod and sync up with your computer afterwords you should see that play list in iTunes. I might be called 'on the go playlist 1' or something to that effect, it's been ages since I've done one up myself.

3. miked_in_canada thread starter macrumors member

I didn't empty the trash no...I suppose I'll have to connect that iPod back up to the machine that I was using when I took the files off the iPod then? And then empty the trash?

Do you think this would fix the issue?

Re: Playlists

The iPod is my gf's and she was making a bunch of playlists but instead of making them in the "Library", she managed to create them right in the iPod using iTunes. I was wondering if there was a way to take that playlist and copy it back.

4. reh macrumors 6502a

Just plug it into any mac and empty the trash. Or delete the ".Trash" folder on any Windows machine.

5. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Yep. :) That should do the trick, reh's suggestion would work too if you don't have access to the same machine (and can find that .Trash file).

If she made the playlist on the iPod its self then next time the iPod is synced up it should copy the play list onto iTunes. If it doesn't there are two things to check:
    1) Check iTunes preferences to see if you have automatic updating enabled (I'm sure you do, but you never know!)
    2) Navigate to the On-The-Go playlist and at the bottom of the list select 'Save Playlist' and it will be saved on the iPod. Update again and it should be on iTunes... Now that I'm at home (and can see my playlists) the playlist should be called "On-The-Go 1" or something similar