Help w/Pismo 9.2->OSX 10.2 update!!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by AtterCat, Dec 9, 2002.

1. AtterCat macrumors newbie

Dec 9, 2002
    Lexington KY
    OK this is my first post on the board. The problem is as follows:
    Im trying to install OSX 10.2 on my 500mhz Pismo laptop. If I put CD#1 in my lap top drive and try to run the set up I keep getting the error" The application installer OSX could not be opened because install mac osx could not be found(-36) BUT if I try to run the installer from my second cd drive I get the message " Startup was unable to select the install CD as the startup Disk(-2) In both cases I get the pop up reset screen for osx and only get the error after I hit reset. Im using the firmware Ver. 4.1.8f5, if I try to update the firmware w/4.1.8 it tells me its up to date w/4.1.8.

I have done everything I know to do. I have used the OSX disk on my G4 450 and its runs great, so I know its not the disk. Some other things I have tried was to copy a single file from the OSX disk to see if my cd Drive was the problem. On my laptop drive I cant copy file from the disk, I get a disk error. But if I use my second external drive it will copy just fine. My laptop drive seem to work just fine with DVDs and other cd applications. With both my external and internal cd drives I cant boot from the OSX cd#1. Anyone who can help me out I would greatly appreciated

2. Gus macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2002
    I'm not trying to insult you, but just trying to eliminate possibilities:
    Have you:
    -started up (internal CD) with the CD in while holding down the "C" key?
    -started up with the CD in and holding down the Option Key at startup?

The Pismos were notorious for CD drive problems, while still allowing DVD to play fine-I replaced 2 drives on my Pismo with this problem.

Don't know what kind of other CD drive you have, but I don't think that it would be bootable, but I could be wrong. The other option would be to wipe everything and start over, but that would be a pain. Is your HD formatted as HFS+? I believe it should be already, and I also think that this is a must for OS X.

Hope something helps!