Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 21, 2006
Missouri
I've got this problem in which my printer prints a picture the correct color at first, but it has the banding (vertical lines) issue in which it looks really bad. Then, after the inital print, everything starts printing the wrong color. Reds are printed as a light lime green.

I've tried re-installing the HP software, I've cleaned the cartridges both by hand and through software, and I've done the alignment. Both my color cartridge and my black cartridge are plenty full. Color is about half way up via software check, and black is about a 1/4 full.

What's the problem, and how can I fix it?

Thanks.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I've also tried printing through different programs, including photoshop, iPhoto, and Image Preview. And I've tried different pics from different sources.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Make sure that you have the correct printer selected, of course. I'm guessing that HP has some utilities to work with the printer. They should be available through the setup or print functions. Make sure that the printer is calibrated correctly. If there is a Colorsync profile selected, make sure that's correct, also.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
I would try to keep running the cleaning part in the software as I had the same problem and ran it 4 times and now works fine. Also are the factory cartages or they after market ones. I had some experience with both and the factory ones work better and the quality shows great. I always had problems with aftermarket ones

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Have you heard of any way to fix it?

i contacted HP and they said clean the cartridge and align etc.... but doesn't work so their next suggestion was the color ink cartridge was defective so i bought a new one and it still has this problem... its only for color so for papers its fine, but i'm gonna call and have them sent a replacement...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
i contacted HP and they said clean the cartridge and align etc.... but doesn't work so their next suggestion was the color ink cartridge was defective so i bought a new one and it still has this problem... its only for color so for papers its fine, but i'm gonna call and have them sent a replacement...

Are you sure that you removed all of the shipping tape? I know that sounds a strange question but with the print heads in the cartridges, I find it difficult to believe that you're only getting certain kinds of ink out. It has a single colour cartridge?

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Are you sure that you removed all of the shipping tape? I know that sounds a strange question but with the print heads in the cartridges, I find it difficult to believe that you're only getting certain kinds of ink out. It has a single colour cartridge?

Yup i removed all the tape... ( I printed one 4x6 photo and it turned out fine and then its been bad from then on)
No its tri - blue, magenta, yellow...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The only other thing I can suggest (other than buying a Canon printer) is to find and delete the preferences files to see if that might help. Since you're both apparently using Intel-based Macs, I think it's got to be some problem with the Intel version of the drivers.

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 21, 2006
Missouri

Yeah, I removed the shipping tape.

I think the best bet at this point is for me to call up HP, I guess, and have them send me a replacement.

Actually, I bought it at Best Buy, it just happened to be the one with the rebate. (At the time of buying the computer, I didn't have the extra $100). I'm just out of the 30-day return policy. However, if I wait till the day after Christmas, and say I got it as a gift and it doesn't work right, will they let me exchange it for the same model w/o a receipt? I still have the box and inserts.

Either way, this is kinda upsetting. I'll try that preferances thing, but I think something is just wrong with the printer.

Thanks anyways, guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.