Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macatak60

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
I have a 2010 mac mini right now with a 2009 macbook pro 13" I have the mini in the living room using as a HTPC but I can't get clear picture on my 50" DLP. I have a 2nd generation apple TV in bedroom. I also have a first generation apple tv not being used. Here is where i'm having trouble deciding. I have all my music and movies on a 1tb external hard drive. I use the mini as a server to watch movies in bedroom or in living room. I use MBP to surf(i should say my wife does) I use an Ipad to surf the web with.
My question is should i sell Mini and get 13" MBA and incorporate ATV1 as media server in living room. Is there a way to get ATV1 and ATV2 to communicate and share an external hard drive? Should I look at getting a western digital live tv w/ 1tb harddrive Cld the atv2 see this if on the same network?
Any and all suggestions would be helpful. I'm posting this is MBA, MINI, ATV forums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.