Help Wanted from electronics wiz

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Laslo Panaflex, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Ok, so here's the deal. My cousin sent me his busted HP Pavilion zt1195. HP wants $900 for a full board replacement. The thing is, all that is wrong with it is that the power cord recepticle has broken from the board. I would like to know what part(s) I need to fix it and how to rewire it. Attached is a picture of the board with arrows pointing to the four solder points where the legs of the previous PC mounted powerjack were. Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks,

Attached Files:

• hp.gif
      hp.gif
      File size:
      96 KB
      Views:
  2. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

are we talking an IEC plug or what? post us a picture of the recepticle you speak of. It would help (expecially if they were in the same orientation)

3. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Doesn't look tooo difficult to do. It's just a standard component. Just take the broken off part to your local mini-electronics store and ask them if they have it. If they don't have it, they can always order it! Just solder the old connectorfeet out of the board and put in the new one. Easy. Good luck!

4. Laslo Panaflex thread starter macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Well, that's the thing, I don't have the original part, when my cousin sent it in to HP they returned it but didn't send back the broken peice. I went down to my local electronics store and bought a jack and wired it to the board, but the problem is that there are 4 solder points and the jack has only 2, you know for positive and negative. I think that that 2 solder points on the right have to do with the battery and the original part had a circuit built into it that crossconnected the power, to charge the battery and power at the same time.

I have a feeling that the part is proprietary and not I am not going to be able to find it unless I contact the motherboard manufacturer. Again, HP was not able to help with the name of the motherboard manufacturer, so I cannot contact them to find the original part.

I will post more pics of the board and what parts I have to try to get it working. Thanks for the help guys.

Link to Laptop description

5. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

hate to be pesimistic but your dealing with a notebook. These things are notoriously proprietary - yes even apple and the likes.

Everyone does their own thing (apple makes good ones and dell make big 2T'ers for example).

I have a very bad feeling that your going to end up paying HP $900 - or getting a new notebook at that price

6. cubist macrumors 68020

The two right-hand lugs are both ground. The connector should have a center pin and a normally-closed contact which opens when a plug is inserted. If you have the cord with the plug on it, go to a place and try to find a jack which fits it snugly. Next step is figure which of the two remaining pads goes to the normally-closed contact and which to the center pin. There are only two possible combinations. One will work, the other won't.

Free advice is worth every penny you pay for it, BTW.

(edit) It's possible the supply plug has two center conductors, 'tip' and 'ring'. If you wish, post a close-up picture of the end of the plug.

7. Laslo Panaflex thread starter macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Ok so here is the connecter for the powersupply, both side views and tip.

Attached Files:

8. Laslo Panaflex thread starter macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

And here is the jack that I bought at the electronics store, I somehow need to fix this jack to the board, but I can't figure out the wiring. As for the free advice, I appreciate all the help, no matter how destructive it could be. To me the computer is dead already, its not big deal if I don't get it working, it would just be a welcomed surprise.

Thanks for the help.

Attached Files: