Help wanted! Install DVD does not boot!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Laslo, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Laslo macrumors newbie

I tried install BootCamp last night to my Mac Mini 1.1 (intel), and all went wrong. I tried to fix things with partitioning and now I have a Mini with a completly empty hard drive, all partitions deleted, even the EFI partition! I thought it is not a big problem, as I could reinstall OS X from the factory Mac OS X installation DVD.
    But the machine does not boot from the DVD!!! I can boot from an XP install disc, various Linux install DVD-s expect the factory OS X DVD. I tried the "C" pressing trick, but it does not help. There is some magick in the OS X install DVD? The apple people have some special install disc for an empty hard drive?

Anyone has an idea?

Thanks.

2. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

What happens when you boot and hold down the ALT (option) key when the OS X install dvd is in the drive. Does it display icons that allow you to select the os x install dvd?

3. Laslo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much!!!

Thanx Chas0001 the fast and effective help!

The install DVD boot now with the Alt key!

It is interesting that "foreign" system disks boots up automatically, but Mac own install disc require the Alt key.

Thank you again! I really went mad about this issue before :)

Laslo.

4. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

No problem. I am glad you got it working. ;)

I think the problem you experienced was due to boot camp and the way that it had 'flagged' the windows (non EFI) partition for installation. Normally if you insert an OS X install DVD and boot using C it will boot.