Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apple4life

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
Please help... I have the 4g 20gb ipod, bought in late August 04... I read about the problem with static at the start of songs following the ipod refresing the buffer, or something like that, and mine has had that...

I'd like to send it back for a repair and started on the process at apple.com and found that it would cost me 31.00 dollars to send it back, something I didn't know about where they only pay shipping in the first 180 days following purchase...

So, should I go ahead and send it in?

Has anyone else had the static problem?

Has anyone sent theirs in?

Please let me know if you think I should send it in...

I am worried about getting back an ipod with scratches... how has the quality of your returned ipod been?

thank you, apple4life.

gco212

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia
apple4life said:
Please help... I have the 4g 20gb ipod, bought in late August 04... I read about the problem with static at the start of songs following the ipod refresing the buffer, or something like that, and mine has had that...

I'd like to send it back for a repair and started on the process at apple.com and found that it would cost me 31.00 dollars to send it back, something I didn't know about where they only pay shipping in the first 180 days following purchase...

So, should I go ahead and send it in?

Has anyone else had the static problem?

Has anyone sent theirs in?

Please let me know if you think I should send it in...

I am worried about getting back an ipod with scratches... how has the quality of your returned ipod been?

thank you, apple4life.

If you send it in, just get Applecare. I think it's $47 with the student discount, and gives you free shipping for when you send it in while extending coverage for another year. If you do send it in, it should come back in near perfect condition, albeit a different iPod.

Loft

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2004
I just got a NEW replacement iPod from the Apple Store yesterday. I think the shipping fee you're talking about is actually called the processing fee. Everyone has to pay for that but you also have the option as said earlier to purchase apple care for an additional $30. So it's wither you pay the initial $30 processing fee or pay $60 for apple care. You get an additional year of protection, actually, 270 days because the new Ipod you're going to get has a 90 day warranty. So if it does break down again withink 90 days, you can send it back and they wont charge another processing fee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.