Help! Web pages won't load on my Mac Pro

Discussion in 'OS X' started by jer2eydevil88, Jan 3, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

I am using a Mac Pro 2.66ghz x 4 with OS X 10.4.8

There are some websites that just won't load (including youtube.com so its not the sites fault) in any of my browsers. I have Firefox, Camino and Safari which are all experiencing the same unable to resolve the domain problem.

I don't know enough about OS X or Unix to fix this, in Windows XP there is a chain of events in the registry called the Winsock which can be replaced to rid a machine of a problem like this. Is there a similar fix for resetting the chain of events for web connectivity on a Mac? I know there is no registry on a *nix OS but surely there is some fix for this problem. I NEED to be able to access the web, I do not want to spend the umpteen hours necessary to reinstall OS X.

2. macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Try going to System Preferences -> Network -> (Your Network Connection) -> TCP/IP

Where it says "DNS Servers" copy + paste the following in exactly as below:

Tell us if that fixes anything...

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Nope switching the Nameservers doesn't fix anything. Sorry I should have stated the problem is only on the Mac Pro while my Powerbook and PC's are working just fine.

The problem is Operating System level because booting into Windows XP makes all websites load just fine.

4. Retired

psychofreak

Reinstalling the OS takes around 2-3 hours...

5. macrumors 601

dpaanlka

So... you didn't try that then? Because that same exact problem always comes up here at Mac Rumors, and specifying name servers almost always fixes it.

You could also try creating a new user account (which will have no settings or preferences) and see if internet access works from there. If it does, just move your files over, give it admin privileges, and delete the old user account.

6. macrumors member

I know this thread is a little old but looks like the same problem i had. Do you if peer gurdian installed, if so uninstall and reboot. even if it's not running somehow it's blocking.

7. macrumors newbie

Yes this worked for me and thank you!

8. macrumors newbie

I joined just to thank your beautiful.... uh fingers i guess. You really helped me out you big brained bastard! :D

9. macrumors newbie

Amazing bro, i tried several solutions before this and always fail but this rocks well men.!! thanks.. bye bye loading page troubles in the mac :D :apple::apple::apple:

10. macrumors 601

dpaanlka

All you're doing is telling your Mac to ignore your ISP's default DNS servers and use those of Level 3 Communications instead, which are reliably fast and efficient. The problem isn't with your Mac, it's with your ISP.

11. macrumors newbie

loading page troubles

oh thank god! resetting the servers really helped, ive had my mac desktop since the summer and had to deal with a lot of Wi-fi problems and then this separate issue where i needed to turn the wi-fi off and back on every time it would stop( like every 5 tabs or 20 mins depending on what i was doing at the time)

i just loaded like ten tabs and they all worked and the internet didn't konk out! Yay! thank you!:p:apple: my new "help" site

12. macrumors newbie

It works

I was having problems uploading web pages on my macbook pro but then I did exactly what someone suggested about the DNS servers! I copied and paste and now my Safari browser works perfectly! Thanks Guys! :)

----------

You re a super genius!! I was ready to throw macbook across the room but thankfully you saved me such ridiculousness! ;-)

13. macrumors newbie

:):):) Wow this is fantastic thank you so much for posting. Have been trying to sort my Macbook out for weeks, two new routers and many hours lost. Even had my control panel unlocking it'self every time I rebooted and couldn't figure that out either.

This has solved both of my issues so happy now. Thanks again.

14. macrumors newbie

Do you enter these in one at a time or what?

15. macrumors newbie

Will this affect my internet bill? Since it's ignoring the default server?

16. macrumors 601

satcomer

Nope. Most ISPs have no clue about DNS (Domain Naming Service).