Help: Weird Noise in new PB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by crdean1, Feb 23, 2005.

1. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

I need some advice.

There is a small faint noise in my new pb. It almost sounds like a small faint water drop or something. Upon closer inspection, it is a fan of some sort coming on. Remember the noise is faint, but I don't want to bother classmates, should I take it back and get another one.

It does bother me a little. Is this a normal noise in these powerbooks. I have never owned an apple.

It happens about twice a minute.

2. evilernie macrumors 6502

evilernie

3. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

Where did you get a 100 Megabyte hard drive? I thought those were out with the 90's??

You meant 100GB. Depends on the tasks you are running from the HD. Going off your newbie status, any noise that comes from a Mac might worry you. Give it a while and get used to Mac products.

My new PB12" has a fan noise, but Apple crammed 5 pounds of hardware in a 1 pound box, the fan needs to chill itself.

Cheers.

4. crdean1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

crdean1

I think I will see if I get used to it. It is not affecting the performance of the machine and seems to be quite common after doing some reading in other forums.

It is a 15" pb, 80GB HD, 512mb ram (stock superdrive system at 1.67ghz)

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Is it like a click sound? If it is that is a normal sound but it isn't the fan it is the Hard Drive.

6. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

You should hear mine. It was fine until I used the superdrive. Now if I have a DVD or CD in there, randomly (what I think is) the fan will start blowing (also sounds like a spinning noise) so fast it sounds like a helicopter. THAT turns some heads in the classroom!

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

That is not the fan at all, that is the superdrive spinning the disk.

8. evilernie macrumors 6502

evilernie

Whoops, of course that's what I meant... :rolleyes: :eek:

9. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Fair enough, it still sounds like someone is taking a buzzsaw to my pb