HELP: WEP Password is not right

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tuned MP5T, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Tuned MP5T macrumors regular

Ok I wanted to try to block off any other users of my wireless internet. But doing so I enter a paraphase which I thought was the WEP password. So when I save the changes I got disconnected from the net, and I thought no biggy. Now I can't log into my own router peferences. Is there anyway to fix this?

I'm on my someone's internet now.:(

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

if you saved your WEP password in keychain, you can open it up and view it.

it's in keychain access
    applications/utilities/keychain access

good luck.

if that doesn't work, you should be able to unplug the router and find the hard reset button on it. Then you'll just have to reconfigure it.

3. janey macrumors 603

janey

next time, try MAC filtering (no, not Mac as in the computer, but the MAC address). Even though it's not difficult to spoof a mac address, that + wpa password + hiding the network so you have to explicitly state the network you want to connect to will guarantee that the vast majority of the people trying to get on will be weeded out.

Check this out if you have no idea what I'm talking about, (and there's usually a setting about setting MAC address filters in your router/base station's settings) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

4. bgd macrumors regular

A password will be generated from the phrase you entered. It is that generated password (not phrase) you need to enter to access the wireless network.

5. Tuned MP5T thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I figured, but it was to late. I'm going to try and reset the router after I move this weekend.

6. bgd macrumors regular

If you connect via ethernet then you should be able to access the router and either turn WEP off or get the access key. That would save a reset.

7. sk1985 macrumors regular

Yup MAC filtering and WPA 2 protection together is the way to go. Even with that added protection I still wouldn't do any online banking or online purchases over wireless. I still feel like someone could violate that protection.

WEP passes suck people crack those codes all the time. You don't even need to be that skilled to do it anymore.

8. bigboy99 macrumors 6502

I know that OS X can do WPA 2, but does the router see this as vanilla-flavored WPA? My Linksys only has WPA or WEP, no WPA 2.

9. sk1985 macrumors regular

What linksys do you have? I had a linksys router (I used it for a week and returned it, but during my week of using it I became pretty familiar with it). I thought all of linksys's current routers had WPA2 protection. Anyway your router will see your mac as a mac. Really the encryption doesn't change how the router connects to your mac. Think of WPA as an access code (that does it's own encryption). If you have WPA just use WPA, but if you do have WPA 2 use that over all. Its still pretty hard to crack WPA when you add MAC filtering.

10. bigboy99 macrumors 6502

It's a WRK54G. If I switch my Mac Network setting to WPA 2 will I have to change the router? It's set up for whatever Linksys uses for WPA.

11. steelfist macrumors 6502a

if you connect to it wirely, you know, not wirelessly and using an ethernet cord you can bypass the wep password thing. then if you know the router preferences password, you are fine.

12. bigboy99 macrumors 6502

Not sure if I'm making sense. Anyway, can't go wired, so I changed my Network settings to WPA2, and it still works with the wireless router set to WPA as before.

What is the security difference between WPA and WPA2?

13. TENBLUE7™ macrumors member

Any none Apple wireless modem or router requires a $ symbol before the WEP key to get it to work.

Give that a go it worked for me on a NetGear DG384G - would like to run WPA but my Lady's Toshiba doesn't support WPA.

Thanks