Help! WHat am I doing wrong? (broadband internet setup)

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by thendis, Sep 16, 2004.

1. thendis macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have just had my new broadband internet account activated, and i can't seem to get connected. I have tried it on Mac OSX 10.3 and on WIndows XP and neither seem to work. WIndows tells me someting about the computer not responding, and Mac OS tells me "Could Not Find a PPPoE server". aaagrrh!

I have used these instrctions found on my ISP's site to set up the account:

Windows:
    <http://www.internode.on.net/helpdesk/adsl/win-xp-pppoe.htm>

Mac OS:
    <http://www.internode.on.net/helpdesk/adsl/pppoe-macos102/index.htm>

I have tried using two seperate modems, in case one was faulty. I am certain i have it connected properly ( i have read the instructions at least 20 times)

too late to call their technical support, so i'm counting on you guys to stop me from smashing this thing!!!!

Thanks! :)

Using:
    eMac G4 800, OSX 10.3
    Windows XP with SP2, 1.6ghz
    Netgear Ethernet DSL Modem/Router

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Are the computers getting an address via DHCP or something like that?

or just the 169 etc etc address that they set themselves (usually when nothing else will give them one)

3. thendis thread starter macrumors newbie

i have only followed the instructions given byt he ISP, whichdidn't mention anything like that. The TCP/IP configure for the bult-in ethernet is is set to "Using PPP".

Sorry i can't be more help. Clearly i'm not very experienced with it all. The ISP people assured me ethernet modems these days are just plug it in and it "just works" with no extra settings other than user/pass.

:)

4. cahillj macrumors newbie

5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

You shouldn't be using PPP for a broadband modem. That's for dialup. There should be a choice of PPPoE (which is different), DHCP, Manual, etc.

What the other questions are are to determine whether the computer is actually getting anything from the modem or not. If your IP address is 169.x.x.x, it means it's not.

6. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Perhaps that is what he meant :)

thendis, were you using the router? from what you wrote it seems you tried to configure with each computer linked to the connection (Mac & PC) and failed to connect

It is really suppose to be a plug and play thing (expect of course entering in you account details) if you go to the Network Prefs and go to the Ethernet TCP/IP part you should see details of the IP address etc

does it show a 169.x.x.x etc address?

or what looks to be a full IP address 123.123.123.123 etc?

7. thendis thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help guys. nothing seems to be working though.

I think i might just go to bed and abuse...i mean...talk to technical support tomorrow morning. It may just be something on the ISP's side that isn't right.

aaaaaanyway, really appreciate your help :) 'night

8. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Looks like you got dial-up DSL. Take out the dsl/cable router and connect the dsl modem directly to the PC. Follow the DSL setup direction for PC and put in the username and password. See if you can connect to the server now. If it's a go, it means the dsl/cable router hasn't been setup correctly. RTFM for the router.

9. thendis thread starter macrumors newbie

hello everyone. it's midday the next day and all is well. Tech Support talked me though - seemed my old dialup internet was causing issues witht he DSL. Just had to delete a few entries around the place and it's works fine.

btw, Airport friggin rocks! I plugged in my wireless modem, turned on airport and rolled up my sleaves, ready to fiddle with setting to get it working...i open up Safari and Google just loaded up! :)

Very impressed.

Again, thanks for your help. All of your comments were right in various ways, it was aaaaall a big mess (and it didn't help that tech support was using a Windows machine and had never used a Mac!)

ciao!

10. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Glad to hear it :)

Just make sure that you setup basic security (WEP, passwords etc) just to ensure that you don't have any un-invited guests ;)