Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
in ichat, i have one account, and thats AIM, its really confusing, i have three sections, buddies, recent, and offline, forget the recent, im guessing all of the following:

if the buddy is on the buddies list with a green dot next to him, he is online

if a buddy has a yellow dot next to him, he is idle

if the buddy has the radio signals like the airport symbol next to him, he is away

now, does everything ive stated above true?? please correct me if im wrong

I have no idea what does it mean to have the following:

what does it mean if you have a red dot next to the buddy's name in the buddies list?

and what does it mean if you have a grey dot next to the buddy's name in the buddies list?

im very confusedcan someone help me on this?? can you tell me about the difference between the red and grey dot? thanx a lot!!!!!!

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
It sounds like you are using Adium, not iChat. I don't believe iChat uses status icons other than red/green/yellow dots for AIM. Either way, red means they have an away message up.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Red means away message...they can be idle also, but you have to mouse-over the contact in question to see if they are also idle.

I would think that the airport symbol means it's a mobile contact. I'm confused as to how your buddy list isn't called "AIM Buddy List" is why i asked about Chax if you are in fact only using AIM.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
Red means away message...they can be idle also, but you have to mouse-over the contact in question to see if they are also idle.

I would think that the airport symbol means it's a mobile contact. I'm confused as to how your buddy list isn't called "AIM Buddy List" is why i asked about Chax if you are in fact only using AIM.

ok, so that airport thing is for mobile, i would agree

green means online

yellow means idle, no away message

red means away, but could be idle, i need to mouse over to find out

and how about grey, i have one grey contact on my buddies list, if this means he is offline, why isnt he in my offline list?

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
From your screen shot, the mobile contact is the only one with the airport symbol...

ok, but is it true, that green means online, yellow means idle, red means awa message, but could also be idle, and those airport like signs next to the name means they are mobile

now, what does it mean to have a grey symbol next to the name? does that mean offline? if it does, do you know why its not in the offline list then?

Dizzee

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
no he is not using chax or anything.
he has the new iChat under leopard.

they changed a few things about the icons

green: avaliable
yellow: idle
red: away
airport: mobile
so like green + airport: means that your buddy has a mobile phone with an AIM application, like the Envy, or Sidekick ect..
grey + airport: is when you text them, the message will be sent to their phone like a text message, and not throught an aim program.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
solution, use Adium. Its better then iChat

i downloaded adium, i didnt really like the interface, i tryed to force myself to like it, but no hope, unless if you can video chat via yahoo and msn to ppl who use windows, that could be an option

no he is not using chax or anything.
he has the new iChat under leopard.

they changed a few things about the icons

green: avaliable
yellow: idle
red: away
airport: mobile
so like green + airport: means that your buddy has a mobile phone with an AIM application, like the Envy, or Sidekick ect..
grey + airport: is when you text them, the message will be sent to their phone like a text message, and not throught an aim program.

GENIOUS!!!! thank you so much!!!!! that helps A LOT!!!!!!! how do you know these things?? they are not even in the help center!!!!! well, anyways, this ends my big confusion:D:D:D:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.