Help! What to get my Girlfriend?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacAztec, Dec 14, 2005.

1. MacAztec, Dec 14, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada

Happiness is a warm sweetheart.

Agony is a cold sweetheart who "playfully" slips her ice cold hands under your shirt to get warm...
  3. Sathos macrumors regular

Jul 30, 2005
    Alberta, Canada
    The other ideas are very nice too, but to me that looks like a huge hint ;)
  4. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    tiffany has a really special ring with women...i don't know what it is, but there are tons of things there under 200 dollars and even 100 dollars (probably the bulk of their gross income, esp. elsa peretti and paloma picasso pieces which are made in affordable sterling silver)

i bought my wife her wedding ring there and two different anniversary presents and a birthday present (peretti wedding ring 495., peretti necklaces 95. each, and a paloma bracelet 135.)

i once thought of getting software for my wife, since she is a techie like me some of the time, but the woman at the computer store said, "you are buying a present for your wife, get her something romantic"...thus tiffany

i could have got more bang for the buck at zales or fred meyer, bigger diamond, gold instead of silver, etc...but tiffany really has class in their offerings
  5. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Get her something that isn't showy. Sure Tiiffany and all that have the name and the style but then, "hey look, it's yet another guy who went to Tiffany's."

Go for something really personal, really think hard about this woman and what she means to you - spend from the heart with no thought about whether you will get any kudos from the gift (not that I'm suggesting that this is what you are thinking but you really have to be selfless to try and figure out the best thing). Has she been stressed lately? - what about a full day spa treatment? Does she enjoy cooking? - maybe a course at a cooking school? Does she like music? - perhaps concert tickets?

Sorry, I just find jewelry, gold, silver and all that stuff to be a bit clichéd and OTT for a present. Yes it has it's place but only for the truly special times. Forget matching the price of gifts, it just leads down a bad path, a present that shows you truly care and understand her is far better than an expensive gift that you picked off the rack in 15 minutes at some high-fallootin' jewelry shop.

Out of the suggestions you have given, I'd say the jacket - CanadaRAM has it right, cold hands inside your warm jacket (especially in your neck of the woods, BRRRR!!!!) is not a wonderful thing and if you get her one of those big fluffy warm ones with a decent collar you can go on walks in the snow and she'll get that beautiful, snow dusted, pink cheeked happy glow about her.... hmmm, that's it, I'm sick of being single...

Good luck, hope this helped a little, if it didn't, ah well, it's only my opinion anyway.
  6. applegirl macrumors regular

Nov 9, 2005
    In Cancun. Be back never.
    I'd go for the wallet and the keychain. Classy without going overboard; I'm sure she'll like both. ;)
  7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    And sick of living where it's 35 degrees at Christmas, perhaps?

Or just some nostalgia?

O'course, the best part about giving your S.O. clothing is the unwrapping...

The gift that keeps on giving...

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    35 degrees? Luxury. It's going to be 35 tomorrow.

And yes, unwrapping the present is always the best, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more.
  9. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Well I was kinda talking to her tonight and she mentioned that her mom is getting her a new wallet for Christmas...

No good concerts around here for a while, and Carlos Mencia is sold out...

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    well if she has an ipod, i thought of an interesting gift but its not appropriate and only available in Europe....
    how about something personalized... the Tiffany bracelet thingy with the heart and you can engrave something on it.
  11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Get her the jacket. It's a good idea if it's something you know it's the type of thing she actually wants.

Ah hell, get the girl some lingerie.
  12. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    That sounds like a mega-hint to me too! It's the kind of thing I'd say if I was hoping to get one!
  13. applegirl macrumors regular

Nov 9, 2005
    Yeah now that you said that she's already getting a wallet, I'd say the jacket (and the keychain?).
  14. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    Oooh ma ma ma maaah! I'm telling on you! :p

Jacket + keychain? Eh, I think it'll be challenge to find a really nice jacket w/in the $200 budget much less adding a $75+ keychain to the mix. Even nice sweaters are easily $80-$100.

I say jacket f you can choose one you know she'll like.
  15. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    Wow, first time I read that, I thought it was "Help! How to get a Girlfriend?" :p

Definatly the jacket. She left a big hint, and even if she hadn't it'd still be my recommendation. And what Abstract said ;)
  16. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    If you get her jewelry, it doesn't matter so much what it is, but more importantly, where you buy it from. Go to the most expensive, most well-regarded jewelry boutique you can find. That'll sure to impress her (and her inquisitive friends).

ps. Don't tell her you got gift-giving advice on an internet forum.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]
  17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    Oh, I can't resist. This subject heading reminds me of the old Henny Youngman joke:

"I got a mink coat for my wife. It was a good trade."
  18. applegirl macrumors regular

Nov 9, 2005
    I guess it also depends on if you're going to get the same type of jacket from the same place that her friend bought it. I guess I'm cheap/poor, so I'm used to paying no more than $80 for a jacket and that's "nice" for me. :rolleyes:
  19. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    ^^ What they said. :D This is my first christmas with my wife (being married, that is). She has left me some big hints that JC Penny has some nice, um, lingerie, so I'll be getting her a gift card to there. And like CanadaRAM said, the best part is unwrapping the present....

Is it cold in here, or is it just me. :p