*HELP* When importing folders to ITunes, songs get left behind...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Myka, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Myka macrumors newbie

Hey guys, need some help here. When I 'import a folder to library'into Itunes, there are songs that do not get imported and get left behind. (no message comes up or anything)
    And so then I tried to go to 'import file to library' and tried to import each file individualy. When I do that, on some of the files it says 'The above file name is invalid'.

So when I change the name to something different, then it will work... but this is obserd as I would have to change like 1500 names of files on each song... what is going on???

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Can you give us some example filenames that aren't working?

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

4. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

Good point, If you are on Mac WMA's (Windows Media Audio Files) can not be converted, they will be left behind. What I have done in the past, is download iTunes for the PC and use its conversion abilities on these files if you have access to a PC just drag and drop the files into iTunes and they will converted. Then just transfer them over.

If they are not WMA but other formats such as ogg files etc, use vlc to convert them (if you can be bothered!). Sometimes I had the same problem with iTunes for mac when I was dragging the files across (even though they were aac). The best thing to do in this situation would be to select the files in finder and then right click play in iTunes they should be copied over this can be done as well in windows, finder = explorer.

5. Myka thread starter macrumors newbie

I do not use the mac for itunes, I use my Laptop with XP
    The songs play in itunes, no problem. Its just when importing the files.

One of the file names that is not working is '14 - Medley, Romantic Girl'
    Now if I change the name of it it will work... and so is the only way this will work is to change the name of every file? That would be crazy time consuming...

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So they're MP3s...

If you had a Mac you could use Automator. Actually, if you had a Mac you probably wouldn't have this problem at all. :D

Maybe try File Renamer. :)

7. Myka thread starter macrumors newbie

Great idea, invest over $3000 to get my files to transfer lol, im sure there is another way.
    Well it seems the problem is that the names of the files have invalid items such as / \ * etc.
    But instead of changing file by file, is there a program that would get rid of any invalid items?

8. Myka thread starter macrumors newbie

ahh you just gave it there lol, thanks... Is that program based for macs only?

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I was just playing, I'm not really expecting you to get a Mac (although I know you'd love it). :p

Yeah, File Renamer is for PCs. :)

10. Myka thread starter macrumors newbie

This has not helped, I dont think this is the problem. Here is more about what I have found....

Now I have tried to 'import FILE to library' where you would do it file by file, and on some files an error comes up and says 'the above file name is invalid' and so I would change the name and the error would go away, but it still wont go into iTunes lol.

Also lets say the folder has 30 songs and only 1 of the 30 has this error on it... well iTunes will only import the files that come BEFORE the error file. So basicly all the files that are ok that come AFTER the error file will not be imported, unless importing them one at a time.

Another strange thing about these files I have found is that when I to these files on my computer (rather than through iTunes)... there is no 'rename' option when you right click these files... and the options are different when you right click them.
    This has only happened now that I changed the name of them through iTunes strangly, and where as they would play before, they now dont play now. They are labeled as 'MPEG LAYER 3 AUDIO' when I leave my mouse on top of the file... the other files that DO work have alot more info when I leave my mouse ontop of the file.

This is really frustrating and I dont understand it. Around HALF of what I have downloaded does not go into iTunes, and thus I cannot get it on my iPod. I hope I have included enough info to get to the root of the problem, please help:confused:

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Could they have data protection on them? Where did you get them? If they're from CDs, try reimporting and see if the troubled files still give you grief. :)

12. Myka thread starter macrumors newbie

13. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Then they're almost certainly illegal. You can buy them in the iTMS or on a CD if the iTMS doesn't have them.

14. Myka thread starter macrumors newbie

Well then is there another way other than Itunes to get those songs on an Ipod?
    Or, is there a program that will convert the files so that they CAN be imported to itunes?

15. Myka thread starter macrumors newbie

ALso whats strange is that I am finding that files that USED to be able to be added into ITUNES are now not able too, strange~!

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sorry but if they're legitimate songs (purchased) then you should talk to the distributor but if they're not legitimate then we can't really help. MacRumors has quite a stringent anti-piracy policy. :eek:

17. Myka thread starter macrumors newbie

I pay to use the program and download songs, thats not piracy

18. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I hope you don't mean this Soulseek, as it's a free download.

19. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you're purchasing these songs from an online store then talk to them about adding songs to iTunes. Give them a quick email, there could be some sort of anti-piracy function built into each file.

20. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I thought 'Import...' was for converting files, not regular adding. For that you use 'add to library', no?

21. Myka thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes that is the program, but you can either be someone who 'donates', or someone who uses it for free.... im the ladder...

22. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Paying Soulseek for the development of their app does not necessarily constitute legal music downloads unfortunately. Can I recommend iTMS as a legitimate and comprehensive replacement for getting tunes onto the iPod. :)

23. Myka thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes ok I understand, but you cannot find House music from Ibiza and underground music in the itunes store or at the CD store, which is why I use the program.

ANyway please help... I have more information on this problem...

Ok so one of these folders that contains the files that dont work, actually claims that the folder is 'EMPTY' even though when I go in it all the files and songs are showing. Any reason why this is happening? These tracks were once able to be played!
    Is itunes by any chance deleting my original files or something but still showing them?

24. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Seems you are doing this on a Windows machine. Windows doesn't like filenames with certain letters, like "\?* and a few others. Heaven knows how you got these files on your Windows machine. If Windows cannot rename the files, then iTunes running on Windows will not be able to import them.

Try making a folder for all these files, and dragging them into that folder so at least you are left with a folder of files that Windows can import.

One note: There are quite a few unscrupulous companies who sell software to download music (most likely you could have got the software legitimately for free) and trick people into believing that this means they can legally download music. Check the smallprint. You can download music if the owner of that music allows it. If I put an MP3 of me singing in the shower onto my website, you can download it and suffer :) Most music you are not allowed to download. Having paid someone money for the download software doesn't give you any rights to download music.

25. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Yeah, even if it's music that is hard to come by. Ethically it's even more important that you make sure to pay for music that you want and that's hard to come by because those musicians are more likely to struggle with making a living of their music.