Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Myka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Omg this has turned from solving a problem into a moral issue, sooo here we go...

You are both wrong, and sound like feminists but for music. If I myself like more than 2 song from a certain band, I will buy the album from a store.
If I only like one song, I will purchase it from napster.
Now if there are UNDERGROUND DJ's in Brazil throwing a rave party in which nobody would ever put on a CD, then I download them. Then, when I hear a DJ I like I will buy their album if they have one, and pay to see them at live shows.

If people like me had the same state of mind as you 'Gekko' then nobody would know the names of these DJ's because nobody could hear them unless they fly down to Brazil to a rave to hear them lol.
Fact is, this helps out the artist MORE than you know, and dont have 10 pages of why to talk about it.

If we all listened to 'pop' and bands on the 'Kasey Kasem' countdown like you do, then I would see your point.... but your speaking to someone who lives the life and music in raves etc. so you are speaking about something you know nothing, or less then me about... especially judging by the comments you have made.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
That's a fair point but there are still two issues. First of all, it's still considered stealing and piracy, irrespective of whether you think it should be. Second of all and far more importantly, the fact that these files are not directly from an official distributor means that there is no uniformity in the files and therefore it's very difficult for us to help you.

Sorry to be unhelpful, hopefully you'll figure out how to get them into iTunes somehow. :)

Oh, and chastising members is rarely ever going to get you a solution. :eek:

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Myka said:
Omg this has turned from solving a problem into a moral issue, sooo here we go...

You are both wrong, and sound like feminists but for music. If I myself like more than 2 song from a certain band, I will buy the album from a store.
If I only like one song, I will purchase it from napster.
Now if there are UNDERGROUND DJ's in Brazil throwing a rave party in which nobody would ever put on a CD, then I download them. Then, when I hear a DJ I like I will buy their album if they have one, and pay to see them at live shows.

If people like me had the same state of mind as you 'Gekko' then nobody would know the names of these DJ's because nobody could hear them unless they fly down to Brazil to a rave to hear them lol.
Fact is, this helps out the artist MORE than you know, and dont have 10 pages of why to talk about it.
Starting your argument with pointless name calling doesn't help the argument.

If the artists or DJs in question wanted to spread their music for free on the internet they would and could have made it available on their own homepage. I know lots of bands that have done that, some with success some not. If they haven't made it publicly available that's their choice to make, not yours.

Myka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
This is really pointless seeing as you know nothing about underground music.
'I know a couple bands' Shows no meret.
Are you best friends with Dj's/Artists? no.. Do you sit in VIP behind the DJ's as they do their set on stage? no...
I could go on and on but the point is I speak to the artists themselves who LOVE when their music gets out there FREE.
In turn it brings in money. Im not going to argue with someone who 'thinks' they know, just know that there is a higher knowledge out there which you should not comment on unless you know. These 'couple of bands' you know would DIE to have their name known and passed on through these programs.
Its when they start paying to release albums etc.

DaftUnion

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2005
Wisconsin
Just a thought--You mentioned before that you purchase songs from Napster if you really like the song...if these are the songs your trying to get into iTunes then that's why there not working...Napster only sells protected wma...and protected wma is completely incompatible with iTunes and iPod...thus the lack of popularity with Napster.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
My brother is in the music industry and I have been to several concerts and met the artists during the sound tests and after the concert. Most of these bands that I've met haven't got any record deals (yet), and yes they are eager to be heard by as many people as possible. That's why some of them have their music publicly available on their home pages. Diamond Elias Jung Just did Doris. The last one are songs hosted on a Norwegian site Urørt for "untouched" music, where up and coming bands can post their music hoping to be discovered by the public or by record companies.

My point is that if these songs you want are by artists who want to share their music, then you should be able to get their music from places where they have chosen to share them themselves. When you download using Soulseek, you have no chance of verifying if the tracks are shared voluntarily or involuntarily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.