Help: Where should I buy my first mac?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by friendlyghost, May 25, 2003.

1. friendlyghost macrumors member

Sep 29, 2002
    So, my Dell laptop has met it's maker after 4 years of reasonable use. It's time for me to buy a Powerbook or iBook (still undecided as to which one. I might hold off a little for the new 15" PB.)

The question is:
    Where should I buy it?

Options include:
    - My local apple store
    - other websites like or
    - another retailer like circuit city or someone else

What are the advantages/disadvantages to any of these options? It looks like extras like more memory are more expensive from than other retailers. Can I still take my laptop in to the apple store for repairs and such if I buy it from another retailer? Anything else I should know about?
  2. maradong macrumors 65816

Mar 7, 2003
  3. alset macrumors 65816

Nov 9, 2002
    East Bay, CA
    I have purchased my last three machines from the online store, but that was before I had an Apple Store move in next door.

The online store has great delivery times, and you may be able to save money on taxes. The actual store itself would be great because you don't have to wait for your Mac to be delivered. Don't even bother with other dealers, if you have an option.

Buy the AppleCare warranty! A friend of mine just got a free iBook because the display on his old 'Book crapped out in the last several months of his warranty. He ended up with an all around faster machine, better drive, and combo drive (he had formerly had CD only).

4. LucasLand macrumors 6502a

Mar 6, 2002
    New England

Buy from Everytime i want to upgrade to another mac I buy from them.

Last week i bought my new emac from them. They threw in free 256mb ram, free epson printer, free usb floppy drive, $30 rebate for UPS shipping and NO sales tax. Delivery only took about 5 days too. Even if you don't want the printer and floppy, get them and sell them on ebay. The money you make from them will lower the overall cost of your computer.