Help... Wifi reception for public wifi(extender)?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by donniedarko, Jan 29, 2005.

1. donniedarko macrumors regular

Firstly I just tried a search but got nothing...
    I bought my girlfriend a 700mhz iMac over a year ago, and just installed Airpot onto it. She just moved to Culver City where they have public wifi... However she is getting really poor signal... Is there a a piece of hardware that can pick up better signal to her computer?? I also got her a Express for music but she can't even get online. I figured maybe a wifi cannon, but I would rather just by her something proper.... Anyone have any insight??
    Thanks
    D

2. donniedarko thread starter macrumors regular

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

1. Wait longer before bumping, if at all. You are pretty impatient.

2. Public wifi is just how far away can we put an access point and not loose signal in between...

Try moving the iMac around. A single metal pipe can be the difference between sub-20% and plus-40% signal.

4. donniedarko thread starter macrumors regular

Patient???! My girlfriend is all bent with no internet. I suppose you could do the math. I'm not trippin she is!
    The iMac has been moved all around and the only place it gets signal is near a window and that signal is borderline useless...
    Thanks but I need someone who can recommend an antennae or something.
    Thanks

5. AlephNull macrumors member

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but this is a WiFi repeater. It should be put in range of a wireless network and it "bounces" the signal to additional devices. Not sure if you can do this with the public internet you are accessing.

Good Luck

6. donniedarko thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Aleph-
    I noted that earlier in my searches. However I wasn't clear if that can take a week signal and make it usable... I told her just to pony up the dough and get dsl... very cool that culver city has there retail zone on wifi but from what I know most people who are there barely can get it ??
    D

7. Mr. G4 macrumors 6502

Mr. G4

Since you have a Powerbook why don't you use this little program http://www.macstumbler.com/ to see where you get the best signal in the house.
    The program will tell you the strength of the signal. If it's really weak every where even a bridge or reapeater will not help

Or you can buy this http://www.cantenna.com/ and connect it to your airport card instead the build in antenna.

8. donniedarko thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Mr.G4 you da man-
    right on what I was looking for!

9. nels0360 macrumors member

I just did this today.

My girlfriend moved in to a new apartment. Fortunately, there are numerous unprotected wireless networks around, but the signal strength was very weak in her apartment.

I bought a D-Link DWL-G710 Wireless G extender. It works great with the weak signal and repeats it perfectly. It doesn't work with every access point, but I've tried it with a linksys and a belkin...it works fine on both.

If the signal is too weak for the repeater to pickup you can then attach one of those antennas directly to it.