HELP! Windows iPod2 problems!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by iMook, May 26, 2003.

1. iMook macrumors regular

Mar 7, 2003
    Just bought a new 30GB iPod.
    Hooked it up to my Windows XP PC via FireWire, then installed the CD software and the Musicmatch plugin.
    My iPod didn't show up in the "Portable Devices" window.

iPod Manager says that my iPod isn't formatted.
    Upon the Manager's suggestion, I run iPod Updater to update the iPod's software (firmware?) but the Update button is inactive. I tried the Restore button many times but nothing happened.
    I tried to open the iPod as a FireWire hard drive, but Windows told me it was not formatted (as a hard drive).

P.S. - During the course of these proceedings, the iPod displayed "Do not disconnect" and had circular animated arrows spinning in the upper-left corner.
  2. maraczc macrumors member

May 20, 2003
    Toronto, ON
    Re: HELP! Windows iPod2 problems!

Hook it up to a USB 2.0 port instead. I believe that you can only connect iPods to PCs using USB.
  3. Chimaera macrumors regular

Nov 15, 2002
    thats bull - Windows iPod works fine with Firewire.

I do presume you've actually followed the relevant instructions for installation?
  4. iMook thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 7, 2003
    I got it figured out. Yeah, had to restore it then reconfigure, but it works beautifully now. Somehow the configure ;part of installation was going fooky.

Funny, my iPod came with a FireWire-only dock cable.

P.S. - Apple website says USB 2.0 support is gonna be a software update in June.
  5. alphonse macrumors newbie

Oct 16, 2003

I hope that this thread are still being read. Anyway, as iMook mentioned, first he have problem with the "Do Not Disconnect" message, and a animated spinning arrow on the top left corner. I also have the same problem with my new iPod 15GB.

I am using Windows XP. When you mentioned that you restore it and than reconfigure, what do you restore? Is it the iPod firmware or the software in the PC. And what do we configure? Hope someone can help me here.. :)

Thanks in advance.