HELP!! Windows & Mac Poll

Discussion in 'Community' started by timktek, May 15, 2004.

1. timktek macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I am going through a graduate program (for Education) and need some serious help! I have a project due this Tuesday night on learning transfer that requires me to do a poll, collect and show the data and I need data! Since I'm a developer and long-time Mac lover, I thought I'd do my poll on long-time Windows users who have tried out a Mac. I'm looking at how their knowledge of Windows transferred to the Mac. My hypothesis is that similar things are virtually seemless (ie. keyboard, monitor, etc.) while some things are more difficult to transfer (ie. navigating file system, etc.), but I'll need to back that up with data.

If you used Windows for a long time and then tried out a Mac (even for just a short time...like a few hours), could you fill out my very short survey??? PLEEEASSE! I'm desperate. I need at least 30 responses and my classmates only added up to 13 :-\

You can see my survey at http://www.timandamber.com/tiu/survey/

Also, do any of you know of a Windows switchers site or forum where I might be able to find other potential responses?

Thanks so much for your help!!!

2. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    uv come to the right place lots of switchers here

3. timktek thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

To be honest there was another such poll from student on a different topic recently.

It is nice to have a link, but would have a easier time justify going to t if it were an "edu" address....

5. timktek thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand your hesitancy, but, for what it's worth, I really am a student :) I don't have an .edu address because I'm parttime. I'm a full-time developer/designer by day (work for http://www.logica3.com) and student by night at Trinity International University (see http://www.timandamber.com/tiu/ which I made for my class--just don't start posting to our forum ;)).

Thanks for your help!

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hi Tim,

I switched in December, and I just filled out your survey. Good luck with your project!

FWIW, you may want to think about asking questions that are more focused on computing goals or typical tasks than specific hardware items. For instance, you have a question, how easy was using the mouse...well, using it in the sense of pointing and clicking was very easy. But the last time I used a Mac, I thought I remembered contexual menus being accessed by holding down the mouse button, so it took some getting used to, to use the option key or to use Sidetrack.

So you may run into a problem because users at different levels are used to using different aspects of the computer for different purposes...it may be a lot easier for a moderately exprienced user from Win, who doesn't play with window configurations on screen, to adjust to the screen etc, not wanting to do much to it to begin with, whereas a power user, who is used to a Win computer set up just so, to see many windows at once and quickly tab between them, etc, might actually have more difficulty to reach his/her acceptable level. I guess you could do an interaction effect between the experience and the question though.

So anyway, you might get more useful info if you asked questions like, "how easy was it for you to write a letter, report or paper?" "How easy was it for you to import and edit digital photos" or even "How easy was it for you to customize the desktop appearance to match your preferences."

In any event, good luck!

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

OK I bit and took the survey. In this case it would be nice to know how the individual did compared to the overall results. I can not fathom how the results came about. Particularly with the "expertise" category.

In the final summarization screen wit would have been helpful to know the scale that was being used.

As a short time Mac user I have some issues. The scores as a Windows and Mac user to be too low in real terms.

#1 The most difficult part for me was getting used to a single button mouse over a 2 or 3 button mouse.

#2 I found it very easy to connect a second monitor to my PB. And if I connect it, the Mac knows where everything is on both screens automatically. . On my Win XP system I have dialogs that I need to have a second monitor attached in order to view them or get rid of them.

#3 I can say that it does take some time to get used to the CNTL, OPTN, and CMND keys. 2.5 to 3 score.

#4 Inserting a CD, what is the science there? For most Mac's you insert the CD. On G5 PM's I am not sure. If they require the"up arrow" then I understand. 4 to 5 score.

#5 ejecting a CD requires a bit more knowledge for those making the shift from Windows and Mac. Only from the stand point of the "up arrow command". From my experience Windows allows for the ejection of a CD with an error in reading of the CD. With Apple it indicates that the CD i open in other applications. A 3 to 4 score.

#6 Maybe we are a button society. But the Apple pull down menu was easy to learn. A 4 to 5 score.

I could go on, but some will find it boring or bashing you or Windows.

To be honest I am one of those that feel that stats only serve the one trying to gain those stats. Based on the questions and the responses , i as a more recent convert do not see the results that were posted after participation.

I agree that this could be because of my own perceptions. Some of my concerns could be answered with a explanation of the scale.

8. timktek thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your response, Chip and mKrishnan, and for taking my survey. The results are an average of the various responses.

I appreciated your suggestions, mkrishnan. I will take Chip's and your comments into account in my summation of data.

Chip -- for the difficulty scale, 1 was extremely easy and 5 was extremely hard. Many people who have taken the survey seem to claim many things were rather easy. The hardest transition being the file management system.

I agree with many of your assessments, though, such as the mouse, keyboard, etc. I was expecting some higher results for those categories. In general, I have beenn surprised by these results. I have them going into MySQL for easier data analysis, so we'll see how I can interpret them when all the results are in.

Thanks very much for your help!!

9. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Maybe you could give us an update as to how many people have answered the poll in a bit?

BEN

10. timktek thread starter macrumors newbie

Sure thing, Ben :) The response has actually been wonderful. Thanks to everyone!! As of right now, I have 59 responses!! :) Woo hoo! :)

Now, for the rest of the weekend, I just have to compile it, do some write ups, make a display board, and make a game for the concept of transfer (I think I'm going to do a Flash game). Whew! Working full-time and doing school is just nuts. Hopefully, I'll actually like teaching! ;)

Thanks again to everybody! You've really been a great help!

11. senseibiz macrumors regular

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Glad to be of help.

I am a suspicious one when it comes to polls and surveys. They can be done in such a way to get the answers one is looking for. The results you were coming up with were surprising.

13. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Well, you now have 87 responses. What state are you from? I'm working on my Teaching Credential in CA.

14. timktek thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, everyone!! I wound up getting 117 responses and te project turned out really well. Thanks for all of your help!

Neserk--very cool. I'm from Chicagoland. Are you going from technology to teaching, too? What are you doing now?

TK

15. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Would it be possible to post some of the results from your survey?