HELP! Windows Media Player 9 for Mac OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Alec9, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Alec9 macrumors newbie

I'm new to Mac (MacBook for Xmas :) ) and I've recently downloaded Windows Media Player 9 for Mac OS X so I can watch videos on the internet, more compatible yada yada yada...Anyhow, upon downloading, I double-click to start the installation, and it says "There is no default application specified to open the document 'Windows Media.sitx'".

Anyone know what's going on??? Again, I'm new, so sorry if this is a dumb question or maybe I haven't looked around enough...but anyway, any help is great! Thanks!

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

3. vniow macrumors G4

Use Flip4Mac instead. It's more updated and integrates better.

If for some reason you have to use WMP instead you're going to need Stuffit to extract it.

4. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

If you're willing to fork out the cash, Flip4mac is an app. that makes wmv files into mov files and plays them with Quicktime much better than the free windows 9 media player ever did. Combined with a quicktime pro key, that is the best way to watch wmv files!

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The free flip4mac download lets you watch wmv files in quicktime. VLC is a great player too.

6. Alec9 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried Flip4Mac, and it works, but I'm having trouble watching videos that are on the internet, not downloaded to my computer. Such as on www.tsn.ca, I can't watch sports highlights, because they use windows media player. Is Flip4Mac supposed to work there too? thanks again :eek:

7. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

also check out Perian which helps fill in the gaps Flip4Mac and QT leave open.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Flip4Mac is free for the wmv Quicktime components.

9. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Video on that site worked fine for me. All I have installed is Flip4Mac and Perian. Note that the site 'sniffs' your browser and tells you Safari isn't supported. (My guess is it really would work fine if they didn't redirect you). But anyway, worked fine in Firefox.

10. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Yeh, but without Qt pro you can't save wmv's as mov's or have any options, besides watching the little clip. I hated QT until I got the pro key and Flip4Mac, along with handbrake. :eek:

11. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Yeah that sites works fine if when using the debug menu set the user agent to mozilla. However, if you set the user agent to IE 6 for PC it asks for you too install flash. But under Mozilla it works fine with Flip4Mac and Perian.