Help: Wireless loses connection and won't auto-renew

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by micsaund, Jul 7, 2004.

1. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

Hi,

I got my first Mac, a beautiful new PB15 yesterday :D and have been loving it so far. I've gotten most things figured-out but one problem persists and I thought I'd run it by you all to see if there were any suggestions.

First some background.

When I first powered the PB on and went-through the set-up process, I used a wired network connection since my wireless uses WEP and I didn't know the key offhand. There was a question in the set-up process something like "this computer will use which as the primary connection: AirPort, Wired, etc." Well, since I was using wired, I left it checked "wired" and proceeded. This info may or may not be pertinent to my problem.

So, then I got the AirPort set-up to talk with my D-Link DI-614+ (11mbps, non-WPA, 128 bit WEP enabled) and all was peachy. At least until the crappy 2.4GHz phone rang.

At that point, I lost my connection. The AirPort bars were still showing, but I could not get to any sites. After 60 seconds, I would get an error dialog about how "could not look up the site" or something similar. I broke to a shell and did an ifconfig and en1 had the correct IP and all other pertinent info, however, I can just not actually get anywhere (even ping internal network machines, so the loss in connection is at the Mac).

When this happens, I can Disable AirPort and then re-enable and all is fine again until the next bit of interference.

So, here's my question: If the ifconfig shows the adapter has all the correct info, what is "breaking" that is ruining the connectivity? Shouldn't the connection auto-renew or something, esp since the AirPort bars are still on and the machine thinks it's connected?

I do plan to get a new router (54g) that will use WPA so I don't have to dick with setting the WEP and all that, but I'm still concerned that the OS does not seem to recover from losing the connection properly. As you can imagine, this makes using Adium or anything else network-centric a bit of a problem ;)

Thanks!
    Mike

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i dont have a specific answer to your problem, but since you know that your phone causes interference, why not configure the wireless router to use a different channel than the phone? this should help prevent you losing the connection in the first place.....

3. micsaund thread starter macrumors 6502

micsaund

I will try that also, but the issue remains that the old Winbloze laptop had no disconnect issues like I'm seeing with the PB. It just seems weird that the ifconfig still has all the correct info, yet I cannot do anything network-related. It may not even be the phone that caused the problem, I guess...