Help with a Clean Install of OS X when Selling a Computer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Elan0204, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

So I'm in the process of selling my computer, and will be wiping the hard drive before giving it to the buyer. I'm going to start by installing OS 9, and then install OS X.3 Panther on top of it. This way the person who I sold it to will have Classic functionality as well as the ability to boot into either OS.

However, before I give the computer to the buyer, I want to go in and update the OS and install iLife '04 for them. How can I do this without going through the Welcome to OS X registration? If I have to set up an account, can I delete it, and have the computer prompt the new owner to go through registration when they first turn it on? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Create an account, namned "admin" with no password. Then, they can wipe it out and do whatever they want with it later. This is the closest you can get, methinks.

3. Elan0204 thread starter macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Thanks for the reply, Mechcozmo. I'm almost postive there is a way to run the setup assistant a second time, I just don't know how to do it. I'd like to be able to delete the account information I entered when setup the computer for them, but I'm not so sure if that is possible.

4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Add Stickies to the startup list, and have a sticky note in there detailing what they should do. Also, enable auto-login.

Just thought of these things.

5. punkmac macrumors regular

reinstalling os but keeping Apps intact

I was just wondering the same thing. I plan on selling my Mac soon.

I would like to reinstall the OS but keep a selection of applications to remain for the buyer.

Is there an option to do this?

Thanks,

I.

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

if i'm not mistaken, this will work, tho it's a lengthy process:

(First, I would reformat the drive and zero all sectors... so nothing is a security risk later)
    1. install OS 9
    2. install OS X
    3. boot OS X, install iLife, etc etc
    4. uninstall OS X
    5. reinstall OS X

If i'm right, that will leave iLife in place, but will run setup assistant the first time it's booted. There is the chance, tho, that iLife needs to modify the system, and that it won't run on a clean install, unless it was installed after. Make sense?

paul

7. Elan0204 thread starter macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Alright, after searching through the forums a bunch more times I have managed to find part of the answer to my questions. In order to have the setup assistant run again the next time the computer boots type the following in the terminal:

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

It seems like combining this with Mechcozmo's suggestion of using an Admin account with no password, and having the new owner just delete it, might be the best solution. Anyone have any other ideas?

8. Elan0204 thread starter macrumors 65816

Elan0204

So does anyone else have a better solution to my problem?

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

I don't know that I have a better solution for the installation/rerunning setup, but I do have a couple of comments:

1. I think you need to be careful when including commercial software software on any system that you are selling (aside from that which came installed on the system when originally purchased from Apple). Unless you are planning on purchasing an additional license for yourself, there could be an issue here.

2. Something that paulwhannel mentioned, but that appears to have gone unnoticed, is that you really need to completely wipe the hard drive. This can be done to some degree by reformatting the drive, but you may also want to look into an application like iWipe to do a more secure wiping, though it will take longer.

10. Elan0204 thread starter macrumors 65816

Elan0204

That's pretty obvious. You can install copies of programs for the new owner only if you are transferring the license to them too. As I said, all I plan to install are Panther and iLife '04, both of which I bought as upgrades to what originally came on my computer, and will be giving to the new owner. Since my new mac will have both of these preinstalled, I don't need the old copies I bought. I want the new owner to be able to turn on the computer and start using it with minimal work, so I wanted to preinstall some stuff for him. It's not very fun to get a new computer and then have to go and download all the updates for an OS, especially if you have dialup.

When I reinstall the OS i plan to write zeroes to the drive using the options in the installer. I beleive there is also an option for an eight way random write, but I think that is kind of overkill. I don't have anything that sensitive on my computer.

Another quick question though, if the new owner doesn't need OS 9 booting, can I just install Panther and still have Classic funtionality? Is Classic on the Panther install discs, or does it need to be installed seperately first from my OS 9 CDs?

11. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

I don't know about the 1st turn on registration prompt, but when doing a fresh install of Panther, you can skip the registration process (in case you don't have net connection) and go back to it later. An alias of registration will be made in Mac HD, so drag that alias to the desktop, then put a sticky under it, telling the new owner what to do.

The Panther CD doesn't come w/ OS 9, you'll have to install it separately.

12. Elan0204 thread starter macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Even just for Classic? So people who don't have anything but retail Panther install CDs can't install Classic?