Help with a decision (PS2 vs. M3)

Discussion in 'Games' started by GFLPraxis, Dec 19, 2005.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Right now my GameCube is having disk read errors, hopefully I can clean the lense and fix it (recommendations, btw?) but if it doesn't then that'll change my decision since obviously I'll have to fix it or get a new one.

Anyway, here's my dilemma.

I can buy a PS2 for a few games I want and get some new games (with my gamestop discount, I get 15% off, I'd get a refurb one for $120 - my discount which puts it at $102), like Kingdom Hearts and Burnout 3 and 4. I'm not a big anime fan and don't care about FPS because I am a keyboard and mouse person and play on my PC for that stuff.

Or, I can buy an M3, and play old games I already own. $15 can get me the stuff to legally rip my own GB/GBC/GBA games and stuff. The M3 CF with PassKey costs $89. Then a CF card (which I can get online or with my sister's Best Buy discount). I'll probably end up paying around $130.

I've gotta decide what to get.

I've put out the repair order for my DS (my warranty expires on the 22nd, but the order lasts another 50 or so days and I have to send it in that time or I'll have to pay more on the repair) because I broke the hinge. The M3 is not covered by warranty so if it *somehow* messed it up after I repaired the DS, I'd have to pay another $60 on repairs. On the other hand, I could order the M3 first and wait on sending the DS out till I had tested it and if it got messed up have them repair that too.

So the choice is:

1) Buy a PS2 for some games I can't get already- I'm not that interested in the Final Fantasy series or GTA, and I have most of the good multiplatform games on GameCube already, so I'd be getting a few games.

2) Buy an M3 to play all my old NES/SNES/GB/GBC/GBA/GG games on my DS and put them on one cartrdige, and maybe put a movie on there and some trailers as well.

3) Buy a PS3 next year, in addition to the Revolution and possibly Mac Mini...ow.

4) Buy none.

Sorry, I'm just worry myself about purchases too much, being short on money. I'm hoping to buy the new Mac Mini as reported by ThinkSecret that's coming at MWSF in January... :Dand thus don't want to spend too much money on other stuff and make my purchases count. Thanks for the help.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

5th choice...........buy a Mac mini with Yonah and play Pc games on your Mac;) its what i would do.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

you know i'm a GBA/DS nut so I'd opt for the M3. but thats just me. if it was a choice between a cube and a PS2, i'd go for cube. if it was cube or a DS, its the DS.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

There will be a delay if you do this. TransGaming haven't announced Mac support yet, and even if they do you'll still need to wait for them to release a product. The same goes for Virtual PC or VMware - you'll need to wait for a new version.

5. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I've already got a PC, but hopefully I'll be able to do just that. I'm already planning to get the Mac Mini either way :D

Just install Windows itself. Although if it doesn't use standard graphics cards I'd have to wait for a modified driver, so I won't count on it.

6. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

The GC is a tough little bugger.

I've cleaned my nephew's badly abused GC with a moist [NOT wet] Q-Tip and rubbed the lens directly for a couple of seconds. And let it dry for an hour with the lid closed. Works like a charm [At least for me it did].

Tips:

-DO NOT USE A CIRCULAR MOTION ON THE LENS, just like you wouldn't with ANY optical media.

- While the lens is fragile, it can withstand a little force, don't be too afraid, but be careful.

- WATER ONLY!

- Be patient, and wait till it dries.

Your results may vary. :)

7. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I admit I was bad and rubbed it with cloth, but I was very light and barely touched it. Hopefully that didn't do anything. Games still load up, they just start giving me errors within a minute of playing, same as before.

Q-tip, eh? I'll see how much lens cleaning cloths cost, otherwise I'll try that.

Would turning the GC on make it dry faster (the laser passing through the water and all)?

8. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

We don't know whether it will be that simple. The developer systems are pretty much just standard PCs, but a released system may have, for example, a custom boot ROM that looks in the "wrong" place for the boot files. There will undoubtedly be some sort of "hacking" required.

10. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Apple said they'll do nothing to prevent us from installing Windows but they won't support it either. I think the only hacking required will be drivers (the dev teams couldn't get it to recognize the GPU, as you'll recall and couldn't go above 800x600).

Back on the original subject...urgh...all that homebrew looks AWESOME! On the other hand, Kingdom Hearts comes HIGHLY recommended and I love Burnout... :(

*cries* what do I do...I think I'm leaning towards the M3 adapter at this point. Sony fans, try to change my mind :)

11. jdechko macrumors 68040

Actually, for electronics, you should use Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol). It dries nearly instantly, and you can use it more liberally on electronics than you could with water.

Case in point, my sister dumpped apple juice on her computer. I spent all night (like 4 hours) disassembling the computer and cleaning each part with rubbing alcohol (ram, video card, processor, motherboard, etc.) When I reassembled it, it worked perfectly and has ever since. Q-Tips and cotton balls are soft enough that they wont scratch any major parts (like the GC lens).

I'm also the owner of a Cube and (soon to be) DS, (as well as a Playstation 1 that I bought this weekend (for $5 from a yard sale :eek: )) so I say that hopefully you can clean the cube and get it to work. That or go with the M3 which sounds pretty cool.

12. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

However, you have to get a ROM first, which no-one seems to have.

I would go for a SuperCard instead of the M3, for cost reasons

13. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Doh :( Didn't read the fine print.

The cost difference doesn't seem that great. A Supercard is $60, + $20 to $30 for a PassMe depending where you get it. The M3 is $89, WITH a PassMe.

You'll be paying $80 to $90 getting a Supercard with a PassMe anyway, right? And the M3 is supposed to have the best movie player on the market for the DS.

14. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I am able to obtain an older-model PS2 with a funky DVD player (it plays some movies properly and garbles others. Phantom of the Opera works, Shrek flashes blue while it plays) that plays games fine (no network adapter but to be honest my consoles aren't in reach of my router anyway and wireless network bridges cost a lot), with Burnout 3 and Gran Turismo 3, one wired and one wireless, and a memory card and a cheap DVD remote.

Old model PS2 + Memory Card + Wired Controller + two older games + Wireless controller - DVD player.

For $85, possibly $80.

Take it or leave it?

15. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

The M3 is much faster. 333HP does that.
    Oh, not the car...

16. thechris69 macrumors 6502

thechris69

how is this possible, can you play ANY game??? if so, i would like the link