help with a dull laptop!

Discussion in 'Community' started by theonenonlyjoey, Jan 4, 2005.

1. theonenonlyjoey macrumors member

theonenonlyjoey

the dell laptop i have in my signature is bugging the heck out of me. there is a green line going down the left side of it and only goes away if i bend the screen slightly but goes back once i release it. i've taken the laptop and screen apart and made sure everything was tight and nothing was broken. any ideas? heres a pic:

[​IMG]

2. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

it's probably a cable error, because tilting the screen has nothing to do with the video card. If you have your computer under warranty, call dell, and they will fix it. If it's out of warranty, then it's probably not worth fixing, and you should get used to it.

3. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Don't buy Dull, the best help I a can offer at this point. Complaining to an Apple website will either generate more answers that are similar or a lack of, due to people being unwilling to spend the time taken to say the same thing.

4. theonenonlyjoey thread starter macrumors member

theonenonlyjoey

oh i'm apple all the way. i got this for free for volunteering at oracle a while back. i was just checking to see if anyway had similar problems. thanks.

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Video card/cable issue. I've seen it before on a Sony. At least you have an extra-large coaster now for parties...

6. theonenonlyjoey thread starter macrumors member

theonenonlyjoey

so most likely a cable? no need to replace the entire panel?

7. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

it's the video cable from the LCD panel, and some computers require you to replace the whole LCD, some computers, just require you to replace the cable. It all depends on the computer. Gotta call dell

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

If you put some pictures of fish and seaweed as your background you could pretend it was a fishing line! ;)

9. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I had the same problem with one before. It was definately the video cable. It isn't too hard to correct, but be careful, don't void your warranty if you still have one.

10. theonenonlyjoey thread starter macrumors member

theonenonlyjoey

update: called dell after replacing flex cable myself. they're sending me a brand new lcd display flex cable and new casing all free of charge.