Help with a google bomb

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by joecool85, May 8, 2006.

1. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I'm forwarding this for a friend----

Hello

Josh Whinery and I are attempting a Google Bombing for our final project in NMD 206. For those who don't know what this is, it's basically manipulating the search results of a specific search term on Google. This is done by creating many links to the page from other pages, using the desired search term in the link's anchor text. A famous example of a Google Bomb can be found by searching the word "Failure" on Google and looking at the top search result.

What we need you to do is to "bomb" Google into putting our final piece high on its search result. For our final, we decided to do a page about pollution in Maine (more directly, the landfill issue). The "bomb" comes into play because we want this page to be #1 on Google's search engine for the term "Vacationland". Planting the "bomb" is very simple: all you have to do is link to http://cordova.asap.um.maine.edu/~schallerr/final.html from your own webpage/blog/whatever, and use the word "vacationland" in the hypertext. Here's the html coding for that:

<a href="http://cordova.asap.um.maine.edu/~schallerr/final.html">Vacationland</a>

(please ignore the quality of that website :p)

This project really needs the cooperation of many to make it work. So please, spread the html code around to everyone you know who owns a webpage. The more links pointing to this website, the higher chance this page makes it to the #1 search position for the word "vacationland".

Thanks you for the assistance. And good luck on finals!

Ryan

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Problem with this "bomb" is that nobody is going to search for "Vacationland" (one word) on Google. You'd be better off trying another word.

"Failure" works because it's a common word, it's funny, and it's true when describing the President of the US, and people with too much time on their hands might actually search for it in Google and hit the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button. "Vacationland" isn't a word, isn't really funny, and isn't going to be searched for fun by people with too much time on their hands.

3. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

LOL, just searched 'failure' on Google. Loved the first entry. :D

I dont have a webpage, but Good luck with it anyways, its an interesting concept.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I always thought Google Bombs were written Google-side rather than being a result of public work. Learn something new every day. :cool:

Good luck with it. :)

5. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Um, based on the fact that it looks like he's doing this for a class project, I'd say he wouldn't want to use a word such as "paradise" for google bombing. I wouldn't want to bring all that much attention to myself, ya know?

6. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

7. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Thanks for the concern, but the reason for using vacationland is because that is maine's nickname.

8. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

um...thats the whole point though.

9. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

I took it that the point of this project was just to show that it could be done, not to actually garner all the attention of something like "failure."

10. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Why not "Maine" or "lobster?" :confused:

I lived in Maine for only a few years, and am in a position to be slightly a Mainer and largely a person from away. And as far as I can tell, very very very few people from away think of Maine as "vacation land." ;)

11. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I am going to assume that the university of maine is a state school and if the state finds out about this they can have the page taken down since it is on their servers.

12. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Okay, I posted a link on my blog.

Hope it works for you. Here's to vacationland!

edit: Eva01 -- here's the U of Maine Web page policy. I don't see how the page cited violates that policy.

13. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

well my thoughts are of this one

They randomly create a policy that makes the page violating it. It is possible it could happen but i doubt it.

Good luck with your project anyways!

14. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

So far the project doesn't seem to be going very well. A Google search for the link reveals nothing. Hopefully in a few days Google will at least pick up some of the links.